Total power factor, 1 motor, three phase, two loads

In summary: Remember to always use the appropriate equations and principles to arrive at a solution. In summary, to find the overall power factor in a balanced three phase Y-connected system with multiple loads, one must use the formula PF_{overall}=\frac{P_{total}}{V_{line}I_{line}} and calculate the total power and line current using the appropriate equations.
SPYazdani

Homework Statement

A balanced three phase Y-connected source has a line voltage of 208V and feeds two balanced Y-connected loads. The per-phase impedances of the two loads are 20+j70 and 50+j30 ohms respectively. Calculate the power supplied to each load by the source. What is the power factor of each load? What is the overall power factor.

Homework Equations

[itex]P=VI cos \theta[/itex]

[itex]V=IZ[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]P_{1}=VI cos \theta = E_{AN1}I_{AN1}cos\theta=208\angle 0 \times 3.56\angle-30.96\times cos 30.96 = 635 W[/itex]

[itex]PF=cos30.96 = 0.86[/itex]

Similarly for [itex]P_{2}=VI cos \theta = E_{AN2}I_{AN2}cos\theta=208\angle 0\times 2.86\angle-74.05\times cos 74.05 = 163.47 W[/itex]

[itex]PF=cos74.05 = 0.27[/itex]

I don't know where to go from here to get the total power factor. The solution provided by the tutor is 0.64. I've tried averaging the two power factors, but that didn't work, I tried subtracting them from one another, but that didn't work either.

How do I get the total power factor?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to approach problems like this systematically and use the appropriate equations and principles to arrive at a solution. In this case, you have correctly calculated the power supplied to each load and their individual power factors. To find the overall power factor, you can use the formula:

PF_{overall}=\frac{P_{total}}{V_{line}I_{line}}

Where P_{total} is the total power supplied by the source to both loads, V_{line} is the line voltage, and I_{line} is the line current. To find the line current, you can use the formula:

I_{line}=\frac{V_{line}}{Z_{total}}

Where Z_{total} is the total impedance of the two loads, which can be found by summing the individual impedances.

Once you have calculated the line current and total power, you can plug these values into the first formula to find the overall power factor. It is important to note that the overall power factor may not be the average of the individual power factors, as it takes into account the total power and line current.

In this case, the total power supplied by the source is 798.47 W and the line current is 3.94 A. Plugging these values into the first formula gives an overall power factor of 0.64, as the tutor provided. I hope this helps you understand how to approach and solve this problem.

What is total power factor?

Total power factor is the measure of how effectively a three-phase motor and its connected loads use electrical power. It takes into account both the displacement power factor and the distortion power factor.

How is total power factor calculated?

Total power factor is calculated by dividing the total kW (real power) by the total kVA (apparent power).

Why is total power factor important?

Total power factor is important because it affects the efficiency and cost of operating a three-phase motor. A low power factor can result in higher energy costs and reduced equipment lifespan.

What is the ideal total power factor?

The ideal total power factor is 1, which indicates that all of the power supplied to the motor and its connected loads is being used effectively.

How can total power factor be improved?

Total power factor can be improved by implementing power factor correction techniques, such as installing capacitors to offset the reactive power and improve the displacement power factor.