Total weight of Huffman Code

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of Huffman code to a set of letters with given frequencies. The goal is to calculate the total weight of the code, which is the weighted path length from the root. This weight can be calculated by multiplying the length of the code for each symbol by its frequency and then summing them together. The conversation also mentions the objective of the algorithm to minimize the total weight for optimal compression. Additionally, there is a mention of a different tree with a slightly lower total weight.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

We are given the following letters with the respective frequencies:
\begin{equation*}\begin{matrix}a/2 & b/4 & c/7 & d/6 & e/4 & f/5 & g/8 & h/10 & i/3 & j/11\end{matrix}\end{equation*}

For that I have applied the Huffman code and I got the following tree:

Huffman.JPG
Now it is asked for the total weight of the code. How do we calculate that? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
We are given the following letters with the respective frequencies:
\begin{equation*}\begin{matrix}a/2 & b/4 & c/7 & d/6 & e/4 & f/5 & g/8 & h/10 & i/3 & j/11\end{matrix}\end{equation*}

For that I have applied the Huffman code and I got the following tree:

Now it is asked for the total weight of the code. How do we calculate that?
Hey mathmari!

The total weight would be the weighted path length from the root.
The objective of the algorithm is to minimize the total weight, implying that compression is optimal. 🧐

Put differently, it is the length of the resulting code for each symbol multiplied by its frequency and then summed together.
So the contribution of $a$ is $4\times 2=8$, since $a$ is encoded by $0000$, which has length $4$ and it occurs $2$ times. 🤔

I think your tree is not optimal though. I found a different tree with a slightly lower total weight. (Sweating)

1. What is the total weight of Huffman Code?

The total weight of Huffman Code refers to the sum of the weights assigned to each character in a given message. This weight is determined by the frequency of each character in the message and is used to create a more efficient encoding for data compression.

2. How is the total weight of Huffman Code calculated?

The total weight of Huffman Code is calculated by multiplying the frequency of each character by its corresponding code length. The sum of these products for all characters in the message gives the total weight.

3. Why is the total weight of Huffman Code important?

The total weight of Huffman Code is important because it determines the efficiency of the code in compressing data. A lower total weight indicates a more effective encoding, resulting in smaller file sizes and faster data transmission.

4. Can the total weight of Huffman Code be negative?

No, the total weight of Huffman Code cannot be negative as it is a sum of positive values (character frequencies multiplied by code lengths). Negative weights would not make sense in the context of data compression.

5. How does the total weight of Huffman Code impact overall data compression?

The total weight of Huffman Code directly affects the compression ratio of a data set. A lower total weight means a more efficient encoding, resulting in a higher compression ratio. This means that the compressed file will be significantly smaller than the original, uncompressed file.