Calculating Net Force and Direction of Barge Movement with Vector and Forces"

In summary, three tugboats are pulling on a small barge in the harbor with different forces and directions. Tugboat A exerts a 50N force at 30 degrees north of east, Tugboat B exerts an 80N force directly south, and Tugboat C exerts a 15N force at 30 degrees west of north. To find the net force applied to the barge, one needs to find the x and y components of all three force vectors and then find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. The answer should be a number of degrees from a compass direction.
Natalie7268

Homework Statement

three tugboats are pulling on a very small barge in the harbor. Tugboat A is pulling with a 50N force in a direction 30 degrees north of east. Tugboat B is pulling with a force of 80N in a direction directly south, and tugboat C is pulling with a force of 15N in a direction 30 degrees west of north.
What is the net force applied to the barge by the tugboats and in what direction with it move?

Homework Equations

I did not know an equation to use my teacher didn't use one he drew an axis and I can't figure out a better way to do it I'm so confused!

The Attempt at a Solution

I did 50 - 15 Newtons and got 35 and then I took 35 from 80 and got 45 Newtons in the south east direction but that's wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find the x and y components of all three of those force vectors. Then you will be able to find the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. Do you know how to find the individual components?

What KrazySocoKid said - remember: force is a vector so you need the vector sum of the forces.
You can do this by components or geometrically: head-to-tail.
Your answer should be a number of degrees from some compass direction.
i.e. due SE is 45deg south of east.

Related to Calculating Net Force and Direction of Barge Movement with Vector and Forces"

1. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force, ΣF is the sum of all the individual forces acting on an object.

2. How do you determine the direction of barge movement using vectors?

To determine the direction of barge movement, you need to add all the individual forces acting on the barge using vector addition. The direction of the resulting vector will indicate the direction of the barge's movement.

3. What are the different types of forces that can act on a barge?

The different types of forces that can act on a barge include weight, buoyancy, drag, and applied forces such as propulsion or towing.

4. Can the net force on a barge be zero?

Yes, the net force on a barge can be zero if all the individual forces acting on the barge are balanced and cancel each other out.

5. How can knowing the net force and direction of a barge's movement be useful?

Knowing the net force and direction of a barge's movement can be useful in determining the barge's acceleration, speed, and trajectory. This information is crucial for navigation and ensuring safe and efficient movement of barges in bodies of water.