Tower Crane Tie Beam and Anchor Design: Maximum Force and Tension Calculation

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about the design of a tower crane collar and the potential risks involved. One person is seeking advice from those with knowledge about tower cranes in order to make a decision about whether to manufacture the collar or purchase a pre-made one. The conversation is closed as it is not relevant anymore.
Faisal90999
h3Ldpv
Hello everyone
http://imgur.com/kc2kV8V
can you please take a look in the tie beam and anchor design from the link above as i could not upload the picture directly.
kc2kV8V

https://ufile.io/6v7l1
i want to calculate the maximum force that this anchor can resist before failure !
also i wan to calculate the maximum tension that this beam can resist before failure!
here i have 3 beams so should i add all tension to get the total tension force !

anchor and tie beams of tower cranes use to give stability to the tower crane.
the anchor will be surrounding the tower crane mast and bolted from each side .

if anyone have a good knowledge about tower cranes please message me as i need to ask further questions

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Four of your figures are not visible; please fix this.

This sounds like an ME problem, not a materials problem. Are you sure you have it in the right place?

Faisal90999 said:
h3Ldpv
Hello everyone
http://imgur.com/kc2kV8V
can you please take a look in the tie beam and anchor design from the link above as i could not upload the picture directly.
kc2kV8V

i want to calculate the maximum force that this anchor can resist before failure !
also i wan to calculate the maximum tension that this beam can resist before failure!
here i have 3 beams so should i add all tension to get the total tension force !

anchor and tie beams of tower cranes use to give stability to the tower crane.
the anchor will be surrounding the tower crane mast and bolted from each side .

if anyone have a good knowledge about tower cranes pls message me as i need to ask further questions

Thanks
(thread moved to ME)

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? If it is for schoolwork, you need to re-post this in the Homework Help, Engineering forum and fill out the Template you are provided there to show your work on the calculations so far.

If this is a question for your work, why have you been tasked with doing these safety calculations if you do not have the skills or background to do them? Trying to get advice off the Internet for doing such safety calculations sounds pretty risky, no?

Hi,,

at the first this task is not my task in the work, but the engineers here had an argument about this issue
the issue was either to manufacture a tower crane collar or buying a ready mad one which is not available immediately and it possible to take 1 month to reach.
i understood all the problem and i was curios about how possible to manufacture a one here so i started so search about it .
if anyone have a knowledge please share.
BTW it is not going to be manufactured anymore:wink:

Faisal90999 said:
BTW it is not going to be manufactured anymore
That sounds good. It is worrisome that the engineers in charge of the design were not able to reach an agreement on the design specs.

Getting advice from the Internet about such a big project which has life safety implications is generally not such a good idea. Thread is closed.

1. What is a tower crane tie beam and anchor?

A tower crane tie beam and anchor is a structural component that is used to secure the base of a tower crane to the ground. It is typically made of steel and is designed to withstand the large forces and tensions that are created when the crane is in operation.

2. How is the maximum force and tension calculated for a tower crane tie beam and anchor?

The maximum force and tension for a tower crane tie beam and anchor is calculated by considering the weight of the crane, the load it is carrying, and the distance between the crane’s center of gravity and the anchor point. This calculation takes into account both the horizontal and vertical forces that act on the crane.

3. What factors are considered when designing a tower crane tie beam and anchor?

When designing a tower crane tie beam and anchor, factors such as the crane’s weight, the maximum load it will carry, the location and type of soil, and the wind and seismic forces in the area are all considered. The design also takes into account the size and shape of the crane, as well as any potential changes in operational conditions.

4. How is the maximum force and tension determined for a specific tower crane?

The maximum force and tension for a specific tower crane is determined by first analyzing the crane’s physical characteristics and operational requirements. This information is then used to calculate the forces and tensions that will act on the tie beam and anchor. The design is then verified through testing and simulations to ensure it can withstand the expected forces.

5. What are the safety measures taken when designing a tower crane tie beam and anchor?

Safety is a top priority when designing a tower crane tie beam and anchor. The design must comply with local building codes and regulations, and safety factors are applied to ensure the structure can withstand unexpected loads or events. Regular inspections and maintenance are also necessary to ensure the safety and stability of the crane and its tie beam and anchor.