Calculating force when landing on a beam

• I
  • Thread starter some bloke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Force
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of determining the impact forces on a machine being designed, specifically related to the distance (d) that the weight falls and the flex of a cantilever beam. The conversation also mentions the desire for a solid landing and the potential use of a diagram for clarification. Steps for determining the force as a function of time are outlined, including calculating the spring constant and potential energy of the falling mass. The potential inclusion of a damper is also mentioned, as well as the importance of considering energy dissipation in addition to stiffness.
some bloke
TL;DR Summary
I need to work out the equations to determine the load capacity needed for a beam to catch a falling weight.
I am designing a machine at the moment, and I am struggling to get my head around impact forces. I have established that the force applied is mgh/d, but I am struggling to work out the value for d.

Taking it in isolation, assuming that the falling weight does not "give" in any significant way when it lands on the end of the beam, then the value for "d" is going to be the amount of flex that the beam experiences, but this in turn is related to the force, which is related to the distance, and I'm going in circles.

I want, ideally, as little "d" as possible - a solid landing, as it were, akin to the weight landing on a concrete pavement. But, if I plug "d" in as 0, we get infinite force, so I'm coming up stumped again.

Current values I'm using to try and work this out are:

m=125kg
g=9.81ms-2
h=1m
Beam can be treated as cylindrical, 0.5m long and made of steel, fixed rigidly at one end and the weight is caught a the other, after falling 1m.

Beam diameter is going to depend on the force (which depends on the distance, which depends on the flex, which depends on the beam diameter ow my head)

The premise is similar to someone jumping on a diving board.

Please can someone help me to tie this together!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested in determining the force as a. function of time?

A diagram is always helpful. This shows what I THINK you are asking:
Cantilever Beam.jpg

If this diagram is correct, the procedure is as follows:

1) Calculate the spring constant of the cantilever beam from the beam deflection equation. The spring constant is force divided by deflection, with units of lbs/inch or N/m.

2) Calculate the kinetic energy of the falling mass at the point where it first contacts the beam. The kinetic energy is equal to the potential energy at its starting point.

3) The beam is a spring. The potential energy in a spring is 0.5Kx^2, where K is the spring constant and x is the deflection. When the mass contacts the spring, kinetic energy is converted to potential energy in the spring. When the velocity of the mass reaches zero, it has zero kinetic energy, and the spring has maximum potential energy. The spring potential energy is now equal to the peak mass kinetic energy.

4) Calculate the spring deflection at the point of maximum potential energy from the spring potential energy equation.

5) From the spring deflection and spring constant, calculate the force.

6) From the force, calculate spring stress. If the stress is above the yield point, the calculations get much more complex because they involve plastic deformation.

7) Stand well back because that spring will now convert its potential energy into mass kinetic energy and fling the mass back up with the velocity at which it came down. That's if the spring did not yield.

8) If this spring will be impacted more than a few times, do a fatigue life calculation.

Likes sophiecentaur
The above is pretty well a comprehensive description of how to do it. I could add that the maximum force will depend on the 'spring constant' of the beam. A stiff beam will 'carry' the same energy as a flexible beam but the force on the stiff beam will be more (could be a lot more) than the force on the flexible beam. This is pretty obvious, of course but, if you are not yet committed to a particular beam, you could choose an optimum, to protect the falling object from too much force. There are tables which will give you all the information about strength and flexing for many different cross sections of beam and materials. I used that sort of information, years ago, when planning the loads on steel joists for a loft extension. I remember that searching was not a hard problem.

I would add to this that you could treat the collision with the beam as inelastic. Instead of needing to store the entire kinetic energy of the faller as potential energy associated with the beam deflection, you only need to store the kinetic energy of the beam tip/faller assembly as determined by momentum conservation.

A damper would surely be a good idea, to avoid the energy going elsewhere and doing damage. The OP could look into car suspension systems, perhaps.

some bloke said:
assuming that the falling weight does not "give" in any significant way
I missed this part on the first pass. It sounds as if there is an assumption that if there is no "give" that there is no dissipation of energy. However, such is not the case. Energy dissipation (elasticity or coefficient of restitution) is a separate parameter from "give" (stiffness). You can idealize a collision to infinite stiffness without idealizing it to perfect elasticity.

1. How do you calculate the force when landing on a beam?

The force when landing on a beam can be calculated using the formula F = mg, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This formula assumes a vertical landing on a horizontal beam.

2. What factors affect the force when landing on a beam?

The force when landing on a beam is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the velocity at which it lands, the angle of impact, and the stiffness of the beam. These factors can be taken into account by modifying the formula F = mg to include additional variables.

3. How does the angle of impact affect the force when landing on a beam?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the force when landing on a beam. If the object lands at a perpendicular angle, the force will be greater compared to landing at an angle. This is because the force is distributed over a smaller surface area when landing at an angle, resulting in a higher pressure and force on the beam.

4. Can the force when landing on a beam be reduced?

Yes, the force when landing on a beam can be reduced by increasing the surface area over which the force is distributed. This can be achieved by landing on a wider beam or by using a landing pad or cushioning material to absorb some of the force.

5. How can the force when landing on a beam be calculated for non-vertical landings?

If the object is not landing vertically on a horizontal beam, the formula F = mg can be modified to include the angle of impact. The formula would then be F = mgcosθ, where θ is the angle of impact. This takes into account the component of the force that is perpendicular to the beam's surface.