TPR solvent AND home-made UV polymerization

In summary: Additionally, you may want to consider using a UV resin, which can be cured with a UV light and can provide a transparent and strong bond. In summary, for TPR, a cyanoacrylate-based adhesive can be used and for UV cure-able materials, a two-part epoxy or UV resin may be suitable options.
vinniewryan
TPR:

I need to find or create a solvent based glue for TPR. Is there something I can purchase that will chemically bond TPR to itself? The application is a simple TPR molded sample we got from china, we had to cut it open to get to the electronics and now we need to glue it back together.

UV cure-able polymer/urethane:

I'm working on a personal 3-D modeling machine (not a 3D printer) and I'm wondering if someone can help me out with developing a transparent material that hardens to anything greater than shore D 75 durometer when exposed to UV or near UV light. The cure time must be instant, and curing must be able to take place where no oxygen is present. For example, if I turn on a UV LED and submerge it in the UV liquid, it should polymerize around (coating) the LED.

Thank you in advance. If there is a better place to ask these questions please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For the TPR, you could try using a cyanoacrylate-based adhesive. These are solvent-free adhesives that form strong bonds when exposed to moisture in the air. They are also flexible and can be used on a wide range of materials, including TPR. For the UV cure-able polymer/urethane, you could use a two-part epoxy. This type of epoxy is designed to harden quickly when exposed to UV or near-UV light. It also has a high durometer rating and can be used in oxygen-free environments.

1. What is TPR solvent and how is it used in home-made UV polymerization?

TPR solvent, also known as tetrahydrofuran, is a common solvent used in home-made UV polymerization. It is used to dissolve the polymers and monomers that are needed for the polymerization process. TPR solvent is also important in controlling the viscosity of the solution, which is crucial for obtaining a smooth and even polymer coating.

2. Can any type of polymer be used in home-made UV polymerization with TPR solvent?

While TPR solvent is compatible with a wide range of polymers, it is important to research and select the right type of polymer for your specific application. Certain polymers may not be soluble in TPR solvent or may require additional additives for successful polymerization.

3. How does TPR solvent affect the curing time in home-made UV polymerization?

The addition of TPR solvent can significantly increase the curing time in home-made UV polymerization. The solvent acts as a diluent, reducing the concentration of the polymer and monomer in the solution. This can result in a longer curing time, which may be beneficial for certain applications.

4. Is TPR solvent safe for home use in UV polymerization?

TPR solvent is generally considered safe for home use in UV polymerization. However, it is important to handle the solvent with care as it can be flammable and may irritate the skin and eyes. It is recommended to wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling TPR solvent.

5. Can TPR solvent be substituted with other solvents in home-made UV polymerization?

Yes, TPR solvent can be substituted with other solvents in home-made UV polymerization. However, the compatibility and effectiveness of the substitution should be carefully evaluated. Some solvents may not be as effective as TPR solvent in dissolving the polymers and may affect the curing process and end result.

Back