Trace of the spin matrix of spin-1

In summary: Now I understand how to use the properties of spin operators to calculate the traces. Thank you for your clear explanation.
Chenkb
Spin-1 matrix Sx, Sy, Sz are traceless 3*3 matrix, and have the property ##[S_i, S_j] = i\epsilon_{ijk}S_k##, and we know that ##Tr(S_i^2) = 1^2+0^2+(-1)^2=2##.
All of the above are independent of representation, of course, the trace of a matrix is representation-independent.

so, if we want to know ##Tr(S_xS_z)=?##, we can use ##Tr(S_yS_z^2)=Tr[(S_zS_y+iS_x)S_z]=Tr(S_yS_z^2)+iTr(S_xS_z)##, thus ##Tr(S_xS_z)=0##.

And my question is, what about ##Tr(S_xS_yS_xS_y)=?## Using the similar method mentioned above.

Regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
Chenkb said:
... we know that ##Tr(S_i^2) = 1^2+0^2+(-1)^2=2##.
What is this? Why should the sum (of squares of the eigenvales of [itex]S_{ z }[/itex]) gives the trace of [itex]S_{ i }^{ 2 }[/itex]? For spin one matrices, you have
[tex]
\sum_{ 1 }^{ 3 } S_{ i }^{ 2 } = \left( \ \begin{array} {rrr} 2 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 2 \end {array} \right) .
[/tex]
So, the trace of this is 6 not 2.

All of the above are independent of representation, of course, the trace of a matrix is representation-independent.

No, who told you this? The trace depends on the dimension of the representation. In any representation [itex]\rho[/itex], the Casmir matrix is given by
[tex]
\sum_{ i = 1 }^{ 3 } J_{ i }^{ 2 } = j ( j + 1 ) \mbox{ I }_{ \rho ( j ) \times \rho ( j )} ,
[/tex]
where [itex]\rho ( j ) = 2 j + 1[/itex] is the dimension of the representation and I is the identity matrix in that representation. So, clearly
[tex]
\mbox{ Tr } \left( \sum_{ i = 1 }^{ 3 } J_{ i }^{ 2 } \right) = j ( j + 1 ) ( 2 j + 1 ) .
[/tex]
So, for spin-1/2 the trace is [itex]( 1/2 ) ( 3/2 ) ( 2 ) = ( 3/2 )[/itex]. And, for spin one you get [itex]( 1 ) ( 2 ) ( 3 ) = 6[/itex].

so, if we want to know ##Tr(S_xS_z)=?##, we can use ##Tr(S_yS_z^2)=Tr[(S_zS_y+iS_x)S_z]=Tr(S_yS_z^2)+iTr(S_xS_z)##, thus ##Tr(S_xS_z)=0##.

And my question is, what about ##Tr(S_xS_yS_xS_y)=?## Using the similar method mentioned above.

Regards!

Why do you need to do all this? The spin-1 matrices are simple enough to determine the trace of products of any number of them. However, you can use the identity
[tex]
( S_{ x } S_{ y } )^{ 2 } = S_{ x }^{ 2 } S_{ y }^{ 2 } - i S_{ x } S_{ z } S_{ y }
[/tex]
Now, take the trace and use the fact that
[tex]\mbox{ Tr } ( S_{ x }^{ 2 } S_{ y }^{ 2 } ) = 1 , \ \mbox{ and } \ \ \mbox{ Tr } ( S_{ x } S_{ z } S_{ y } ) = - i
[/tex]

Sam

samalkhaiat said:
Sam
Maybe my notations could cause ambiguity, for ##Tr(S_i^2)##, I didn't mean to sum from 1 to 3, ##i## stands for ##x## or ##y## or ##z##. And we can go to the representation which makes ##S_i## diagonal, and the diagonal elements are the eigenvalues, i.e. 0, 1, -1, so I got ##Tr(S_i^2)=2##.

I know that we can choose a specific representation(usually Sz diagonal), and do the matrix product explicitly, then get the traces. But I want to do it in another way, using the properties of spin operators like the commutation relations. I think this is a good homework. ^_^
I had proved that ##Tr(S_xS_zS_y)=-i##, but got some trouble for ##Tr(S_x^2S_y^2)=1##. Is there any chance you could possibly show me the details of ##Tr(S_x^2S_y^2)=1##?

Thanks a lot!

[tex]S_x^2+S_y^2+S_z^2=2I[/tex][tex]S_x^2+S_y^2=2I-S_z^2[/tex][tex](S_x^2+S_y^2)^2=(2I-S_z^2)^2[/tex][tex]S_x^4+S_y^4+S_x^2S_y^2+S_y^2S_x^2=4I-4S_z^2+S_z^4[/tex]Take the trace of both sides, and use
[tex]{\rm Tr}\,S_i^2={\rm Tr}\,S_i^4=2[/tex][tex]{\rm Tr}\,I=3[/tex]

Avodyne said:
[tex]S_x^2+S_y^2+S_z^2=2I[/tex][tex]S_x^2+S_y^2=2I-S_z^2[/tex][tex](S_x^2+S_y^2)^2=(2I-S_z^2)^2[/tex][tex]S_x^4+S_y^4+S_x^2S_y^2+S_y^2S_x^2=4I-4S_z^2+S_z^4[/tex]Take the trace of both sides, and use
[tex]{\rm Tr}\,S_i^2={\rm Tr}\,S_i^4=2[/tex][tex]{\rm Tr}\,I=3[/tex]

Wow! That's amazing, thank you so much!

Related to Trace of the spin matrix of spin-1

What is the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1?

The trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 is a scalar quantity that represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the matrix. It is denoted by Tr and is used to calculate the expectation values of physical observables in quantum mechanics.

How is the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 related to the spin quantum number?

The trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 is equal to the spin quantum number, which is denoted by s. This means that for spin-1 particles, the trace will always have a value of 1.

Can the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 be used to determine the spin state of a particle?

No, the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 alone cannot determine the spin state of a particle. It is one of the components of the spin operator, but it must be combined with other components to fully describe the spin state.

How does the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 change under rotations?

The trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 is invariant under rotations, meaning that it remains the same regardless of the orientation of the coordinate system. This is a consequence of the fact that the spin operator is a vector operator and transforms in the same way as a vector under rotations.

Is there a relationship between the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 and the Pauli matrices?

Yes, the trace of the spin matrix of spin-1 is related to the trace of the Pauli matrices. The trace of the spin matrix is equal to the sum of the squares of the Pauli matrices, which is used to calculate the spin expectation values in quantum mechanics.