Spin Annhilation and Creator Operators Matrix Representation

In summary: But yeah, I get it now. All I needed was a simple explanation. No need to go through all that trouble. :)In summary, the matrix representations of s+/- for spin 1/2 in the usual basis of eigenstates of sz can be obtained by using the formula s_{\pm}|s,m> = \hbar \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m\pm 1)}|s,m \pm 1>. The matrix elements can be found by using the formula <i| A | j> = A_{ij}, where i and j represent the two states.
TheBigDig

Homework Statement

Given the expression
[tex] s_{\pm}|s,m> = \hbar \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m\pm 1)}|s,m \pm 1>[/tex]
obtain the matrix representations of s+/- for spin 1/2 in the usual basis of eigenstates of sz

Homework Equations

[tex] s_{\pm}|s,m> = \hbar \sqrt{s(s+1)-m(m\pm 1)}|s,m \pm 1>[/tex]
[tex] S_{+} = \hbar
\begin{bmatrix}
0 &1 \\
0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]
[tex] S_{-} = \hbar
\begin{bmatrix}
0 &0 \\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've gotten the first part. You just sub into s and m for spin up or spin down yielding
[tex] s_{+}|\downarrow> = \hbar |\uparrow>[/tex]
[tex] s_{-}|\uparrow> = \hbar |\downarrow>[/tex]
In most textbooks I've checked, they just skip from what I've gotten above straight to the matrix representations. But I'm totally confused as to how the matrix elements of the matrices are found as you go from one to the other.

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix element in position ij describes the matrix element between the states i and j, ie,
$$\langle i| A | j\rangle = A_{ij}$$
In your case you only have two states (although the formula given can be used to express the action of ##s_\pm## on a state with higher total spin as well)

Edit: Also note that > is a LaTeX relation whereas \rangle is a LaTeX delimeter. Compare ##|a>## to ##|a\rangle##

Orodruin said:
The matrix element in position ij describes the matrix element between the states i and j, ie,
$$\langle i| A | j\rangle = A_{ij}$$
In your case you only have two states (although the formula given can be used to express the action of ##s_\pm## on a state with higher total spin as well)

Edit: Also note that > is a LaTeX relation whereas \rangle is a LaTeX delimeter. Compare ##|a>## to ##|a\rangle##
Thank you so much for explaining. And thanks for the LaTex help. Tried using \ket but that didn't work so had to improvise

1. What is spin annihilation and how does it relate to quantum mechanics?

Spin annihilation is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes the process of reducing the spin of a particle to zero. This is achieved by combining two particles with opposite spins, resulting in a net spin of zero. It is an important concept in understanding the properties and behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is spin annihilation represented in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, spin annihilation is represented using the creation and annihilation operators. These operators act on the quantum states of particles, changing their spin values. The creation operator increases the spin of a particle by one unit, while the annihilation operator decreases it by one unit. Together, these operators provide a way to manipulate the spin of particles in quantum systems.

3. What is the matrix representation of creator operators?

The matrix representation of creator operators is a mathematical representation of the creation and annihilation operators in quantum mechanics. These operators are represented by matrices that act on the quantum states of particles. The matrix representation allows for the calculation of various properties and behaviors of particles, such as their spin values and energy levels.

4. How are creator operators used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, creator operators are used to manipulate the spin of quantum bits (qubits). By applying the creation and annihilation operators to qubits, researchers can control the spin values of these particles, which is crucial for performing operations and calculations in quantum algorithms. The matrix representation of creator operators is also used in quantum computing to simulate and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

5. What is the significance of the spin annihilation and creator operators in modern physics?

The concepts of spin annihilation and creator operators are essential in modern physics, particularly in the fields of quantum mechanics and quantum computing. These concepts help us understand the behavior of particles at the subatomic level and provide a powerful tool for manipulating and controlling quantum systems. They have also led to groundbreaking discoveries, such as the development of quantum computers, which have the potential to revolutionize information processing and technology.