Tracing a ray of light through a spiral phase plate

In summary, the spiral wave plate changes the direction of light rays parallel to its axis, and this change in direction corresponds to a change in orbital angular momentum.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Draw a single light ray through a spiral phase plate, anywhere but the middle of the plate, with the incoming ray being parallel to the axis of the spiral phase plate. On passing through the plate the ray is no longer parallel to the axis of the phase plate? Does the change in direction account for the change in the orbital angular momentum of the light?

I'm thinking in terms of classical optics where we can draw the path of a light ray.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Draw a single light ray through a spiral phase plate, anywhere but the middle of the plate, with the incoming ray being parallel to the axis of the spiral phase plate. On passing through the plate the ray is no longer parallel to the axis of the phase plate? Does the change in direction account for the change in the orbital angular momentum of the light?

I'm thinking in terms of classical optics where we can draw the path of a light ray.

Thanks!

For a spiral phase plate (index 'n') of thickness t(φ) = hφ/2π, a relative phase Ψ(φ)= hφ/λ (n-n0)is generated for a ray. If the plate thickness is chosen such that h/λ (n-n0) is an integer (say, 'm'), the optical field after the plate acquires a phase eimφ, which is characteristic of a Laguerre-Gauss vortex beam.

Thanks Andy. Can we trace light rays through the phase plate, treating it like any lens in classical physics?

slide4.gif

Thanks!

Spinnor said:
Thanks Andy. Can we trace light rays through the phase plate, treating it like any lens in classical physics?

View attachment 198795

Thanks!

I guess so- assigning an optical power to the surface may be tricky, since it's not axisymmetric. Also, skew rays become important.

I don't know what your application is, but if you want to ray trace, why not use an axicon element instead?

Andy Resnick said:
I don't know what your application is

I was trying to understand how a spiral wave plate changed the orbital angular momentum of light in a classical way and my thought process may have been flawed. Take a light ray that is parallel to to spiral wave plate axis and follow it through the wave plate. My guess is that all parallel light rays upon exiting the wave plate have their direction changed proportional to the pitch of the wave plate? That change in direction then corresponds to a change in orbital angular momentum. I know I have completely ignored the interference from the path dependent phase change but it seems in this flawed approach we still might see how orbital angular momentum change comes about. The spiral wave plate is an interesting optical element that causes a parallel light beam to diverge and rotate?

Thanks!

1. How does a spiral phase plate work?

A spiral phase plate is a type of optical component that is used to manipulate the phase of a light beam. It consists of a transparent material with a spiral pattern etched onto its surface. As light passes through the plate, the spiral pattern imparts a specific phase shift to the beam, resulting in a change in the beam's polarization and intensity.

2. What is the purpose of tracing a ray of light through a spiral phase plate?

Tracing a ray of light through a spiral phase plate allows us to understand how the plate affects the properties of the light beam. This is important for designing and optimizing optical systems that use spiral phase plates, such as in imaging, telecommunications, and laser applications.

3. How is a ray of light traced through a spiral phase plate?

The process of tracing a ray of light through a spiral phase plate involves calculating the phase shift imparted by the plate at each point along the path of the light beam, and then using this information to determine the resulting polarization and intensity of the beam.

4. What factors affect the behavior of a ray of light passing through a spiral phase plate?

The behavior of a ray of light passing through a spiral phase plate is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the light, the orientation and pitch of the spiral pattern on the plate, and the angle of incidence of the light beam.

5. What are some applications of spiral phase plates?

Spiral phase plates have a wide range of applications in optics, including in imaging techniques such as microscopy and holography, in telecommunications for encoding and decoding information, and in laser systems for shaping and manipulating the properties of the laser beam. They are also used in optical tweezers, which use light to manipulate small particles and biological cells.