Train whistles; moving/stationary sound and velocity

In summary, the question involves two trains with different whistle frequencies, where one is stationary and the other is moving towards it. The conductor on the stationary train hears a 3.5-Hz beat frequency, and the goal is to find the speed of the moving train. Using the beat frequency equation and the Doppler equation, the speed of the train is calculated to be 2.31 m/s. However, there was a mistake in the attempt at a solution as the beat frequency formula should be divided by 2, resulting in a slightly higher velocity.
gmmstr827

Homework Statement

Two trains emit 516-Hz whistles. One train is stationary. The conductor on the stationary train hears a 3.5-Hz beat frequency when the other train approaches. What is the speed of the moving train?

b = beat
f'_b = 3.5 Hz
f = 516 Hz

Homework Equations

f_b = |f_1 - f_2|
v_sound = 343 m/s (speed of sound in 20°C air)
Doppler equation for "source moving toward stationary observer":
f' = f/(1+(v_source/v_sound))

The Attempt at a Solution

First I'll tweak the beat frequency equation to solve for what the stationary train conductor hears as the frequency of the moving train's whistle.
f'_b = |f' - f| <<< f' > f since the train is moving TOWARD him.
3.5 Hz = |f' - 516 Hz|
f' = 519.5 Hz

Now I'll substitute all values into the Doppler equation to find the velocity of the moving train.
519.5 Hz = 516 Hz / (1 - (v_source / 343 m/s) )
v_source = 2.31 m/s

Though possible, this seems like a low speed for a moving train. Did I do everything correctly?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes you did everything fine.

I may be a little late, but I think I got the error.
The beat frequency is:
f_b = (f1 - f2) / 2
You forgot to divide by 2. Then you get a sommewhat higher velocity.

Actually you don't divide by 2 in that formula. I got the answer right. But thanks for checking for me!

You may be thinking of the formula to check if a pipe is closed by looking at the frequency of sound traveling through it:
f_closed = (fn1-fn2)/2
n_closed = fn1/f1closed

Your calculations and approach seem correct. The low speed of 2.31 m/s for the moving train may seem surprising, but it is important to remember that sound travels much slower than visual objects. The speed of sound is affected by temperature, humidity, and other factors, so it is possible that the speed of sound in this scenario is lower than the standard 343 m/s. Additionally, the beat frequency may not be very noticeable at higher speeds, so the conductor may not be able to detect it as easily. Overall, your solution appears to be correct and within the realm of possibility.

1. What causes a train whistle to make noise?

The sound of a train whistle is caused by the rapid release of steam from the train's boiler. The steam passes through a narrow opening, creating a vibration and producing a loud sound.

2. Why does the sound of a train whistle change when it is moving?

As a train moves towards an observer, the sound waves are compressed, resulting in a higher pitch. As the train moves away, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower pitch. This phenomenon is known as the Doppler effect.

3. Can you determine the speed of a train based on the sound of its whistle?

Yes, the frequency of the sound produced by a train whistle is directly related to its speed. As the train moves faster, the sound waves are compressed more, resulting in a higher frequency. By measuring the frequency of the sound, the speed of the train can be calculated.

4. Why do trains have different types of whistles?

Trains have different types of whistles for different purposes. The primary whistle is used to alert people and vehicles of the train's presence. The secondary whistle is used to communicate with other train crews and signalmen. Different types of whistles also produce different pitches and volumes, which can be used to convey different messages.

5. How do train whistles comply with noise regulations?

Train whistles are designed to comply with strict noise regulations, especially in urban areas. They are equipped with a muffler that reduces the whistle's volume and pitch, and they are only allowed to be sounded at designated times and locations. In addition, some trains also have a "quiet zone" feature, which allows them to pass through certain areas without sounding the whistle.