Trains heading toward each other

• Thread starter chawki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trains
In summary, the problem involves two trains traveling at different speeds and the question asks for the distance between them 30 minutes before they cross. The solution involves using the concept of relative velocity to calculate the distance. There is no need for the initial distance between the trains.
chawki

Homework Statement

One train runs from A to B at 105 miles per hour, the other runs from B to A at 85 miles per hour.

Homework Equations

How far apart were the two trains 30 minutes prior to their crossing?

The Attempt at a Solution

if the distance between them is x, i can find the time when they cross each other.
t=x/(190)

Physics news on Phys.org
chawki said:

Homework Statement

One train runs from A to B at 105 miles per hour, the other runs from B to A at 85 miles per hour.

Homework Equations

How far apart were the two trains 30 minutes prior to their crossing?

The Attempt at a Solution

if the distance between them is x, i can find the time when they cross each other.
t=x/(190)
How far apart are the trains to begin with?

They didn't say

30 mins * relative velocity = x. won't that be the answer?

supratim1 said:
30 mins * relative velocity = x. won't that be the answer?
That works.

so initial distance is not required!

supratim1 said:
so initial distance is not required!

It is not. I misread the problem at first.

t-0.5=x/190 ?

supratim1 has already posted the method of calculation above (#4). Be sure to have a consistent system of units.

yeah but i don't understand it
i don't know about the relative velocity

i still don't get it...
isn't there another method more simple?

chawki said:
i still don't get it...
isn't there another method more simple?
There isn't. This is a problem about relative velocity and you have to understand what that means. Here we go. Please think about and answer the following two questions.

Question 1
Suppose you are in a car traveling at 60 miles per hour going North. You look out the window and you see a road sign. Would you say that the road sign is moving? If so, how fast and in what direction?

Question 2
Suppose you are in a car traveling at 60 miles per hour going North. You look out the window and you see a car going in the opposite direction (South). The speedometer of that car reads 50 miles per hour. Would you say that that car is moving? If so, how fast and in what direction?

1. What is the concept of "Trains heading toward each other"?

The concept of "Trains heading toward each other" refers to two trains that are traveling in opposite directions on the same track and are expected to eventually meet at a certain point.

2. How is the speed of the trains determined in this scenario?

The speed of the trains is determined by the distance between the two trains and the time it takes for them to meet. This can be calculated using the formula: Speed = Distance/Time.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of the two trains meeting?

The outcome of the two trains meeting can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the trains, the distance between them, any obstacles on the track, and the reaction time of the train operators.

4. Can this scenario be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this scenario can be applied to real-life situations such as two trains traveling towards each other on a single track, cars approaching each other on a narrow road, or even two people walking towards each other on a sidewalk.

5. How can this scenario be used in scientific experiments or studies?

This scenario can be used as a thought experiment in physics to understand concepts of relative motion, velocity, and time. It can also be used to study reaction times and decision-making in psychology experiments.