Trajectory of a mass element in a string overhanging a pulley

In summary: L_o - ut) }{ \sqrt{ (2L_o -ut) -D^2} }Integrating this I goty(t) = - \frac{D}{6} [ (\frac{2}{D})^2 (L_o - ut)^2 -1 ]^{\frac32} +C
burian
Homework Statement
The title, this question I made up myself
Relevant Equations
$$ v= \frac{u}{\cos \theta} $$
Hello everyone, this is a thought experiment I made, it involves two ropes being pulled of a pulley similar to an atwood machine, and a block attached to the two pulleys at the other end. The ropes are being pulled at a constant velocity $ U$ from the end away from the block and the block rises up in the middle. Now, I know the velocity of block,

$$v = \frac{u}{ \cos \theta} $$

but, how would I use this to derive the equation of motion of a mass segment on the string? (supposing the string has mass)

This expression seems quite hard to integrate because ## \theta ## is a function of time, (another difficulty)

Any help would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20200804_110453.jpg
    20200804_110453.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200804_110458.jpg
    20200804_110458.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 116
Physics news on Phys.org
hello and :welcome: !

burian said:
a thought experiment
(supposing the string has mass)
Doesn't really mattter, because you impose speed ##u##.

That is the speed for the rope once over the pulley, so I suppose you are interested in the section that stays between the pulleys ...

You want to make a better sketch (rope segments move away from the symmetry axis, not towards it) and claerly define a few things (##\theta##, for example)

By the way, 'equation of motion' is something else than a trajectory description...

@BvU Yes I'm interested in any small mass segment belong to the large mass segment hanging over the pulley, the ## \theta ## that I refer to is the angle which the string is inclined from the vertical line passing through the block

Last edited:
See, the trajectory I'm only theorizing what could happen, I am asking for help on deriving a quantitative description of the motion

The problem with thought experiments is that you have to think of everything,,,
burian said:
the θ that I refer to is the angle
I know (from the expresssion). So the rope breaks before ##\theta = {\pi\over 2}##, right ?

burian said:
theorizing what could happen...
a quantitative description of the motion
Ah, so not the equation of motion ?

BvU said:
make a better sketch ...
and clearly define a few things
Well, with the better sketch
$$
v = \frac{u}{ \cos \theta}
$$
and the newly defined 'things' you can write ##\cos\theta## as a function of time, right ?

1. Yes it breaks there
2. Sorry I misspoke, I meant I want an equation giving position as a function of time
3. I don't understand how I could write theta as a function of time by a better sketch

##\qquad\quad##
1596575434908.png

Likes sysprog and Lnewqban
Thank you, I'll try doing with this new information and inform if I have any troubles

so this is what I got,

[tex] v= \frac{u}{ \cos \theta} [/tex]

by using trigonometry on your diagram,

[tex] v= \frac{2u (L_o - ut) }{ \sqrt{ (2L_o -ut) -D^2} }[/tex]

Integrating this I got

[tex] y(t) = - \frac{D}{6} [ (\frac{2}{D})^2 (L_o - ut)^2 -1 ]^{\frac32} +C [/tex]

But this is motion of block.. it seems rather complex? I"m not sure but I did not think a simple string pulley motion would turn this ugly looking

Anyways, my original goal was finding position of a mass segment.. I"m still not sure how to write a position function of it, but what I did is,

[tex] \sin \theta = \frac{D}{2(L_o -ut)} [/tex]
[tex] \dot{\theta} \cos \theta =\frac{D}{2} \frac{u}{ (L_o -ut)^2} [/tex]

rerranging and integrating,

[tex] \theta(t) = \int_{t=0}^{t=t_f} \frac{Du dt}{\sqrt{4 (L_o -ut)^2 -D^2} ( L_o -ut)^2} [/tex]

I'm really confused, is the motion this complex?further, how would I find absolute position of a mass segment piece? I think I could write write the coordinatesin polar form and get a simple expression somehow but I"m not sure

burian said:
by using trigonometry on your diagram,

[tex] v= \frac{2u (L_o - ut) }{ \sqrt{ (2L_o -ut) -D^2} }[/tex]
Something wrong with the 2s in the denominator.
But why not use trig to go directly to y(t)? You don't need to do any integrals.

oops, I forgot the square in the denominator. What do you mean? how I can get y(t) without any integrals??

burian said:
oops, I forgot the square in the denominator. What do you mean? how I can get y(t) without any integrals??
From the diagram in post #7.

haruspex said:
From the diagram in post #7.
I'm not sure how that would give me position as function of time because the diagram is like a snap shot of the motion. How do I determine the position at all times from just a single snap shot of the motion?🧐

burian said:
I'm not sure how that would give me position as function of time because the diagram is like a snap shot of the motion. How do I determine the position at all times from just a single snap shot of the motion?🧐
One of the distances in the diagram is a function of time.

Ok, so I thought of it and I could write polar coordinate from near the top of the pulley. As,

$$ x= (L-vt) \cos \theta$$

$$ y = (L-vt) \sin \theta$$
But, I don't understand how I would write the angle as a function of time hmm

burian said:
Ok, so I thought of it and I could write polar coordinate from near the top of the pulley. As,

$$ x= (L-vt) \cos \theta$$

$$ y = (L-vt) \sin \theta$$
But, I don't understand how I would write the angle as a function of time hmm
Don't you have that $$ D/2 = (L-vt) \sin \theta$$? Doesn’t that give you the angle as a function of time? D, L and v are constants.

if I were to evaluate it at a point then I would know theta at that point. So, without calculating theta by freeze framing everytime, I want to write very specifically the argument of sine as a function of time

burian said:
if I were to evaluate it at a point then I would know theta at that point. So, without calculating theta by freeze framing everytime, I want to write very specifically the argument of sine as a function of time
There is no distinction. The equation it gives you is that of theta as a function of time.

Dear @burian,

burian said:
You are making it too difficult for yourself. There is no freeze framing. Suspension point ##P## is moving straight up towards ##M##.

Length ##PM## is known as a function of time$$PM = \sqrt{(L_0-ut)^2 - (D/2)^2}$$

Angle ##\theta## is known as a function of time too $$\theta = \arcsin \left (L_0-ut\over D/2\right )$$

The segment that doesn't go over the pulley undergoes a motion that is the sum of the upward motion and the tilting: red, purple, blue in the sketch

1597061054668.png

The motion of a point on that segment at distance ##r## from ##P## is then easily described as the sum of the motion of ##P## plus ##(r\sin\theta, r\cos\theta)## in a cartesian coordinate system with origin ##M##:$$(x,y) = \Bigl (r\sin\theta,\; r\cos\theta- \sqrt{(L_0-ut)^2 - (D/2)^2\;}\ \Bigr )$$

There is no reason to expect a simpler expresssion

BvU said:
Dear @burian,

You are making it too difficult for yourself. There is no freeze framing. Suspension point ##P## is moving straight up towards ##M##.

Length ##PM## is known as a function of time$$PM = \sqrt{(L_0-ut)^2 - (D/2)^2}$$

Angle ##\theta## is known as a function of time too $$\theta = \arcsin \left (L_0-ut\over D/2\right )$$

The segment that doesn't go over the pulley undergoes a motion that is the sum of the upward motion and the tilting: red, purple, blue in the sketch

View attachment 267565

The motion of a point on that segment at distance ##r## from ##P## is then easily described as the sum of the motion of ##P## plus ##(r\sin\theta, r\cos\theta)## in a cartesian coordinate system with origin ##M##:$$(x,y) = \Bigl (r\sin\theta,\; r\cos\theta- \sqrt{(L_0-ut)^2 - (D/2)^2\;}\ \Bigr )$$

There is no reason to expect a simpler expresssion
OH I get it now, it clicked from when you wrote it in terms of arcsin. Thank you for bearing with me.

Likes BvU

1. What is the trajectory of a mass element in a string overhanging a pulley?

The trajectory of a mass element in a string overhanging a pulley is a curved path that the mass element follows as it moves from one side of the pulley to the other. This path is determined by the forces acting on the mass element and the properties of the string and pulley.

2. How is the trajectory of a mass element affected by the length of the string?

The length of the string affects the trajectory of the mass element by changing the angle at which the string is pulled by the pulley. A longer string will result in a gentler curve, while a shorter string will create a sharper curve in the trajectory.

3. What role does the mass of the element play in its trajectory?

The mass of the element affects its trajectory by determining the amount of force required to move it. A heavier mass will require more force to move, resulting in a different trajectory compared to a lighter mass.

4. How does the angle of the string over the pulley affect the trajectory?

The angle of the string over the pulley plays a significant role in determining the trajectory of the mass element. A steeper angle will result in a more pronounced curve, while a shallower angle will create a flatter trajectory.

5. Can the trajectory of a mass element in a string overhanging a pulley be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the trajectory of a mass element in a string overhanging a pulley can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the forces, angles, and properties of the string and pulley. These equations can be solved using principles of physics and mathematics.