Trajectory Position At A Given Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a graphics program to model projectile motion, with the goal of finding an equation that can determine the X and Y coordinates of a ball at any given time, given a specific velocity and angle. The conversation also mentions the use of simplifying assumptions and the possibility of using closed-form solutions or numerical approximation methods. The final equation for the parabolic curve is derived using Newton's laws and the assumption that the only force acting is gravity.
sklar
I am writing a graphics program to model projectile motion of a ball being thrown. What I am looking for is an equation that will give a specific X and Y coordinate, in the parabolic path, for any specific time it is given, and a arbitratry velocity and angle.

For example, if I give it some arbitrary velocity and angle, I would like to be able to figure out how high in the air the ball is and how far it has traveled horizontally at 5 seconds, 13.4 seconds or any other random time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sklar

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of simplifying assumptions are you making? A flat earth, constant acceleration of gravity w.r.t. altitude, no air drag? Since you mention "parabolic path," I imagine you are going with all of these idealizations.

If you idealize (simplify) things enough, you can make use of closed-form solutions that were worked out with calculus centuries ago. If you are going to make it more realistic, you will probably have to resort to numerical approximation methods.

A strictly time depentent solution is pretty easy. The only force acting is gravity. Application of Newtons laws gives.

in the x direction

[tex]v_x (0) =v_i(0) cos(\theta) [/tex]
so
[tex] x(t) = v_x(0)t + C [/tex]

If you define the origion as the point where the ball is thrown C=0

Gravity acts in the y direction so

[tex] \frac {d^2y} {dt^2} = -g [/tex]

[tex] \frac {dy} {dt} = -gt + v_y(0) [/tex]
but
[tex]v_y(0) = v_i(0) sin (\theta) [/tex]

[tex] y(t) = Y_0 + v_y(0)t - \frac {g t^2} 2 [/tex]

Last edited:
And thereby Integral has derived your parabolic curve, parameterized by time t.

Related to Trajectory Position At A Given Time

1. What is trajectory position at a given time?

Trajectory position at a given time refers to the location of an object at a specific point in time as it moves along a predetermined path.

2. How is trajectory position at a given time calculated?

Trajectory position at a given time is calculated using the object's initial position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as the amount of time that has passed since the object began its motion.

3. Can the trajectory position at a given time be predicted?

Yes, the trajectory position at a given time can be predicted using mathematical equations and computer simulations that take into account the object's initial conditions and the forces acting upon it.

4. How is trajectory position at a given time used in scientific research?

Trajectory position at a given time is used in various fields of scientific research, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. It helps scientists understand the motion of objects and make predictions about their future positions.

5. What factors can affect the trajectory position at a given time?

The trajectory position at a given time can be influenced by several factors, such as the object's mass, speed, direction of motion, and the presence of external forces such as gravity or air resistance.