Transcendental function and a finite well

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding the intuition behind a question related to a finite well and the number of solutions for energy levels. They also point out a possible mistake in the question's given solutions and ask for clarification regarding the context. The conversation concludes with the student being reminded to focus on understanding the implicit relation between parameters in the transcendental equation and its solution, rather than simply counting the number of bound states.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

I am not having trouble with this question as such more trying to get to grips with the intuition of what the question is implying, also I believe there is a mistake in the question as the solutions give to not mange the given energy condition, they state that ##V_0>E## where I believe it should be ##V_0<E## for the solution that they have given.

The question is displayed below:
fintewell.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My issue with part d) is how can I say for a finite well the amount of solutions as when you find the trans-dental equation the number or solution correspond to the points of intersection which correspond to the depth/width of the well. It also dose depend on the ##V_0## as when you parametrise the transcendental the radius of the circle depends on ##V_0## so by increasing the potential you increase the radius thus increase the number of energy levels. But What I don’t understand it the regards to the infinite as there are infinite amount of energy levels due to the infinite potential.

Am I reading this question correctly or have I missied understood the context.

Attachments

• fintewell.png
    fintewell.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 538
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the solutions given are for bound states. This would mean that ##E<V_0##. In part (d) you are not asked to count how many bound states, but to discuss on what this number depends. This is implicit in the transcendental equation which you are asked to interpret and the way it is solved. For example, does a skinny but deep well have more energy levels than a broad and shallow well? What must relation between parameters must be true in order to have more bound states? Once you acquire that insight you can extend to the infinite well.

1. What is a transcendental function?

A transcendental function is a mathematical function that cannot be expressed as a finite combination of algebraic functions. It includes functions such as logarithmic, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

2. How does a finite well relate to transcendental functions?

A finite well is a potential energy well in quantum mechanics that has a finite depth. The solutions to the finite well problem involve transcendental functions, specifically trigonometric and hyperbolic functions.

3. What is the significance of transcendental functions in quantum mechanics?

Transcendental functions play a crucial role in solving many problems in quantum mechanics, including the finite well problem. They also appear in the solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can transcendental functions be graphed?

Yes, transcendental functions can be graphed. However, since they cannot be expressed in terms of simple algebraic equations, their graphs can be more complex and may require the use of technology to plot accurately.

5. Are there any real-world applications of transcendental functions and finite wells?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of transcendental functions and finite wells. They are used in fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. For example, they are used to model the behavior of electrons in a semiconductor material, which is essential in the design of electronic devices.