Transcript for Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series

In summary, the speaker is looking for a transcript of R Feynman's Messenger Lecture at Cornell 1964 on "The Relation of Mathematics and Physics". They are aware of a video version on Project Tuva, but would prefer a written transcript. Another person suggests the book "The Character of Physical Law" which contains all seven lectures and is available on Amazon for less than $12. The speaker also mentions that on the Project Tuva site, there is a running transcript below the video which can be expanded by clicking on arrows.
c299792458
Hi, could someone please tell me where I might find a full transcript of R Feynman's Messenger Lecture at Cornell 1964 on "The Relation of Mathematics and Physics"? I know that it is available in video format on Project Tuva, but a transcript (not running alongside the video) would be very helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"The Character of Physical Law" MIT Press, ISBN 9780262560030. Available at amazon for less than 12 dollars. Appears to be a faithful record (I'm not sure what you mean by 'transcript'). This book has all seven lectures.

Thanks for the link to the Project Tuva site, I didn't know about that.

On the YouTube versions, did you try the [beta] CC-options?

On the Project Tuva site, there is a running transcript below the video (if the video is not in full-screen).
If you click on one of the arrows, you can see the whole transcript.

1. What is the "Transcript for Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series"?

The Transcript for Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series is a written record of a series of seven lectures delivered by the renowned physicist Richard Feynman at Cornell University in 1964. These lectures were delivered as part of the Messenger Lectures on the Evolution of Physics, and were later published in the book "The Character of Physical Law".

2. What topics are covered in Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series?

Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series covers a wide range of topics in physics, including the laws of gravitation, the relation between mathematics and physics, quantum mechanics, and the conservation of energy. Feynman also discusses the concepts of symmetry, conservation of momentum, and the role of uncertainty in physics.

3. Why are Feynman's Messenger Lectures considered important?

Feynman's Messenger Lectures are considered important because they provide a unique and insightful perspective on the fundamental principles of physics. Feynman was known for his ability to explain complex concepts in a clear and engaging manner, making these lectures accessible to a wide audience. His lectures also helped to shape the development of modern physics and continue to be influential in the field today.

4. How can I access the Transcript for Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series?

The Transcript for Feynman's Messenger Lecture Series is available in various formats, including the original transcripts from the lectures, as well as in the book "The Character of Physical Law". It can also be found online through various sources, such as the Feynman Lectures website or through academic databases.

5. Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman (1918-1988) was an American theoretical physicist known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and particle physics. He was also a renowned teacher and popularizer of science, known for his ability to make complex concepts accessible and engaging to a wide audience. Feynman received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his work in quantum electrodynamics.