Transfer Function of Potentiometer

In summary, the problem at hand involves analyzing a potentiometer accelerometer and finding its transfer function. The transfer function for the mechanical aspect of the problem is Y(s)/(s^2)*X1(s) = -m/(ms^2 + bs + k). For the electrical part, the transfer function E0(s)/Y(s) needs to be multiplied with the mechanical part to form the total transfer function. However, determining the transfer function for the electrical part is proving to be difficult. The final transfer function for the potentiometer should be the input displacement of the circuit over the output voltage of the circuit. The author has provided three loop equations to help with finding the transfer function, but any additional help would be appreciated.
NHPhysics
Hey guys, I am new to this forum.

I am working on a problem analyzing a potentiometer accelerometer. For the first part, I need to find the transfer function of the potentiometer.

known: y=x2-x1
dynamic system: y,x1

For the mechanical aspect of the problem, I found that the transfer function was --> Y(s)/(s^2)*X1(s) = -m/(ms^2 + bs + k)

For the electrical part, I know I need to find the transfer function E0(s)/Y(s) and multiply it with the mechanical part to form the total transfer function. I cannot figure out how to determine the transfer function though. I am assuming I should make 3 loops, where the e0 'arm' is moving along the resistor, but if I do this, i would have another loop with es as the input, would that come out to the right answer?

Actually, now that I'm more deeply thinking about it, the final transfer function for the potentiometer should be the input displacement of the circuit over the output voltage of the circuit right?

For loop equations I have:

R0*i1 + e0 + (R0 + R*y)*i1 = 0
R0*i2 + (R0 + R*y)*i2 +e0 = 0
R0*(i3 - i1) + R0(i3 + i2) + es = 0

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• PS6_2014.pdf
    178.6 KB · Views: 799
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

What is a transfer function of a potentiometer?

A transfer function of a potentiometer is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage of the potentiometer. It describes how the output voltage changes in response to changes in the input voltage.

How is a transfer function of a potentiometer calculated?

The transfer function of a potentiometer can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This ratio is also known as the gain of the potentiometer.

What is the purpose of a transfer function in a potentiometer?

The transfer function of a potentiometer is used to determine the accuracy and linearity of the potentiometer. It also helps in predicting the output voltage for a given input voltage.

How does the transfer function of a potentiometer affect its performance?

The transfer function of a potentiometer plays a crucial role in its performance. A highly linear transfer function ensures that the output voltage is directly proportional to the input voltage, resulting in accurate readings. On the other hand, a non-linear transfer function can introduce errors and affect the overall performance of the potentiometer.

Can the transfer function of a potentiometer be altered?

Yes, the transfer function of a potentiometer can be altered by changing the values of its components or by using calibration techniques. This can help in improving the linearity and accuracy of the potentiometer.