Transfer to Engineering from 2nd year science

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is unsure about their major and is considering switching from Biochemistry to Engineering. They discuss the job market for both fields and the potential for further education. They also mention the competitiveness of getting into Engineering at UBC from a science major and the possibility of working and saving money before pursuing a degree.
HerpMcDerp
Sup everybody... so I've created this account after deciding that lurking around for solutions to my Calculus homework isn't the sole benefit of this forum.

So, the problem is that I'm going into a Biochem major next year (2nd year) at UBC which the original intent of apply for the Pharmacy school there but since I've stumbled upon some rather foreboding and bleak outlooks pertaining to the job market not just for Pharmacy but also Biochemistry. Biochemists really don't stack paper to the ceiling without grinding another few years at the mill for a graduate degree from what I can figure, and after the Pharmacy bubble bursts and the job market no longer becomes lucrative I figured it may be time to ditch this life science dog and pony act and switch to something I actually enjoy (and that doesn't pay too bad either)... perhaps Chem & Bio or EE.

The downside to switching to engineering is the extra time and loans just to get an undergrad engineering degree, and on top of that the career prospects for entry level engineers in Canada in the future (According to this reporthttp://www.engineerscanada.ca/files/engineering_labour_market_conditions_report_2010.pdf" ) aren't very nice looking either.

So, what should I do? Stick with science? Or go with engineering? Entertain me with some ideas, please and thank you.
Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was a third year biochemistry major before I switched into EE (I was also trying to go to pharmacy school), I can say safely say that this is one decision that I will never regret. First reason is because I am in love with the subject. Second of all, you can always try to get a job after getting your bs, and always go back for grad school later (although I heard its very hard to go back to grad school when you start making ok money). But honestly, in your case as it was very similar to mine, if you have the financial opportunities and don't mind staying a couple more semesters, AND if you truly enjoy EE/chemEE, then it is truly a no-brainer decision. Also I want to add that pharm school is expensive so it might take a while to pay off those loans.

Hmm ok thanks.. so what kinda average are we looking at for admission in Engineering at UBC from science? I have an A average overall for my first year Math Phys and Chem courses... is that good? Cuz I know they give preference to the Highschoolers who apply and such.

You still should be able to get an undergraduate engineering quicker than if you went to pharmacy school. Your graduation date may or may not be in jeopardy after your first year. Maybe you already completed some prerequisites for engineering or just general education requirements?

Actually, it'll probably take me the same amount of time to graduate in either program... 6 years, maybe 7 for Engineering if I take co-op. And Yeah I have taken the 1st and will be taking the 2nd year math prereqs (Calc III, Linear Algebra) for the Engineering program but other than that no phys 170 or APSC. Oh well... the loan amount shouldn't be too bad... If I can find a job or get rich by hustling on the streets lol.

You could just build up a decent amount of money through a minimum-wage job (if you live with your parents) and then daytrade your way to glory.

Going back to my previous question, does anyone here know how competitive it is to get into UBC E from Science? They never reveal any collated statistics about how everyone's grades are lol, and I'm too lazy to wade through that many grade spreads so yeah.

Related to Transfer to Engineering from 2nd year science

1. How do I transfer to engineering from 2nd year science?

To transfer to engineering from 2nd year science, you will need to meet the admission requirements set by the engineering department at your university. These requirements may include a minimum GPA, completion of specific courses, and a statement of intent. You should also reach out to an academic advisor to discuss your options and create a plan for your transfer.

2. Can I transfer to engineering with any science major?

It depends on the specific requirements of the engineering department at your university. Some departments may have specific majors or courses that they prefer for transfer students, while others may be more open to any science major. It is best to consult with an academic advisor for more information.

3. Is it too late to transfer to engineering in my 2nd year of science?

No, it is not too late to transfer to engineering in your 2nd year of science. While some students may transfer earlier, it is still possible to make the switch in your 2nd year. However, keep in mind that you may need to take additional courses to catch up with engineering students who started in their 1st year.

4. What courses should I take in my 2nd year of science to prepare for a transfer to engineering?

To prepare for a transfer to engineering, you should take courses that fulfill the general education requirements for engineering, such as math, physics, and chemistry. You should also consider taking courses that are specific to the engineering major you are interested in, such as computer science for computer engineering or mechanics for mechanical engineering.

5. Are there any benefits to transferring to engineering from 2nd year science?

Transferring to engineering from 2nd year science can have several benefits, including gaining a broader understanding of scientific principles, having a more well-rounded education, and potentially saving time and money. Additionally, many engineering programs require students to have a strong foundation in science, so starting from a science major can give you an advantage in your engineering courses.