Transfering product between 2 industrial tanks

In summary: Expert SummarizerIn summary, the conversation revolved around conducting a product transfer operation and seeking tips on how to approach the calculations. The expert suggested gathering all necessary information and using D'arcy's equation to solve for the velocity at the intake of the discharge tube. However, it was noted that this equation assumes laminar flow and more complex equations may be needed for turbulent flow. The expert also advised considering potential restrictions in the system and consulting with a fluid dynamics expert or referring to industry standards for further assistance.
rsr32
Hi,

I need to conduct a product transfer operation and need to submit calculations for approval first but am a bit stuck at this point.. I'm a bit rusty on my fluid dynamics and looking for some tips on how to approach this.

I have 2 large capacity liquid propane tanks (24,000 gallons) both about 80% full and need to transfer product from one tank to the other. I'll have 100 PSI differential driving the fluid transfer, my question is whether the limit of excess flow valves will be exceeded at that pressure differential.

I've attached a sketch depicting the layout.

what would be the methodology to solve this- I assume solving for velocity at the intake of the discharge tube of tank 1 (given the 100 psid) is the way to go since I can then figure out the flow rate and see if it exceeds the excess flow valve capacity?

Is D'arcy's equation sufficient to solve for the velocity given all the known variables I currently have?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Attachments

• propane sketch.pdf
    424 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Dan,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your product transfer operation. As a scientist with expertise in fluid dynamics, I would be happy to provide some tips on how to approach your calculations.

Firstly, it is important to gather all the necessary information and variables for your system. From your post, it seems like you have the tank capacity, fluid level, and pressure differential. It would also be helpful to have information on the diameter and length of the discharge tube, as well as the properties of the liquid propane (e.g. density, viscosity).

Next, you can use D'arcy's equation to solve for the velocity at the intake of the discharge tube. This equation takes into account the fluid properties, pipe diameter, and pressure differential. However, it is important to note that D'arcy's equation assumes laminar flow, which may not be the case for your system. If the flow is turbulent, you may need to use the Colebrook-White equation or other more complex equations to accurately calculate the velocity.

Once you have the velocity, you can then calculate the flow rate using the cross-sectional area of the discharge tube. From there, you can compare the flow rate to the capacity of the excess flow valves to determine if they will be exceeded.

It is also important to consider any potential restrictions or obstacles in the system that may affect the flow rate, such as bends in the discharge tube or valves. These should be taken into account in your calculations.

I hope this helps guide you in your calculations. It may also be helpful to consult with a fluid dynamics expert or refer to industry standards and guidelines for product transfer operations. Good luck with your project!

1. How do you transfer product between two industrial tanks?

The transfer of product between two industrial tanks typically involves the use of a pump or other transfer equipment. The product is pumped from one tank to the other through a connecting pipeline.

2. What safety precautions should be taken when transferring product between two industrial tanks?

Some safety precautions to take when transferring product between two industrial tanks include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring the tanks are properly grounded to prevent static electricity, and following proper procedures for handling hazardous materials.

3. How do you determine the appropriate flow rate for transferring product between two industrial tanks?

The appropriate flow rate for transferring product between two industrial tanks can be determined by considering factors such as the size and capacity of the tanks, the viscosity and density of the product, and the type of transfer equipment being used.

4. What type of equipment is typically used for transferring product between two industrial tanks?

The type of equipment used for transferring product between two industrial tanks can vary depending on the specific needs and requirements of the transfer process. Some common equipment used includes pumps, valves, pipes, and hoses.

5. Are there any environmental concerns associated with transferring product between two industrial tanks?

Yes, there can be environmental concerns associated with transferring product between two industrial tanks. It is important to properly handle and dispose of any spilled or leaked product to prevent contamination of the surrounding area and potential harm to the environment.