Transferring from Physics to Engineering Undergrad

In summary, physics is the study of natural laws and principles, while engineering applies these principles to design useful technologies. It is possible to transfer from a physics program to an engineering program, but it may require additional courses and meeting specific requirements. Physics skills such as problem-solving and knowledge of fundamental principles can be useful in engineering. Whether you start over as a freshman in engineering depends on the university's transfer policies. Some popular engineering fields for physics students include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering.
AnthonyJohnAre
Hello everyone, I'm a 17 year old high school student from Ontario, Canada. I have recently applied to a few physics programs, and I was just wondering if it was possible to transfer into an engineering program once I am in the university. However, my situation is I never took grade 11 or 12 chemistry. I have only taken physics and maths. Is it possible to switch into engineering once I am in university?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you should be able to change your major quite easily.

What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, while engineering is the application of these principles to design and create useful technologies and systems.

Can I transfer from a physics program to an engineering program?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a physics program to an engineering program. However, it may require taking additional courses and meeting specific requirements set by the engineering department.

What skills from physics will be useful in engineering?

Physics and engineering have many overlapping skills, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical analysis. Additionally, knowledge of fundamental physics principles like mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism can be applied in engineering projects.

Will I have to start over as a freshman in engineering?

It depends on the specific university and program. Some universities may allow you to transfer credits from your physics courses, while others may require you to start as a freshman. It is important to check with the engineering department at your desired university for their specific transfer policies.

What are some popular engineering fields to transfer into from physics?

There are many engineering fields that may be a good fit for someone with a background in physics, such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and aerospace engineering. It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals.