Transferring-should I retake this class?

In summary, if you are weak in your E&M coursework from a community college, then you should enroll in a comparable E&M course at your university.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
I'm going from a community college to a 4 year school-a good one-for physics. I'm starting in the spring which is awkward because I won't have many options for physics classes to take while I'm there other than an honors intro E&M course. I had a really watered down experience with my E&M course at my community college, so I either need to study myself or take an honors course to be prepared for the modern physics class next fall, which is taught with Halliday/Krane. So should I take the honors course or self study?

Physics news on Phys.org
My personal suggestion is to just use that spot to take care of a general elective, assuming the course transferred correctly and assuming you still have some to take. For me, personally, EM didn't make sense in my first course, and only after taking calculus 3 and reading through an intermediate electromagnetism book like Griffiths did it start to make sense to me. There's a lot of stuff in electromagnetism that just don't make sense unless you're comfortable with vector calculus, so it seems common that people don't necessarily get full understanding from their intro EM course.

axmls said:
My personal suggestion is to just use that spot to take care of a general elective, assuming the course transferred correctly and assuming you still have some to take. For me, personally, EM didn't make sense in my first course, and only after taking calculus 3 and reading through an intermediate electromagnetism book like Griffiths did it start to make sense to me. There's a lot of stuff in electromagnetism that just don't make sense unless you're comfortable with vector calculus, so it seems common that people don't necessarily get full understanding from their intro EM course.
The honors course uses purcell and assumes vector calculus as a corequesite. I'll have already taken calc 3 when I take the course.

Then you should be fine. Purcell should be sufficient for you--you end up relearning everything done in your intro EM course, but in a relatively easier manner if you're familiar with the vector calculus concepts of calculus 3.

Likes PhotonSSBM
PhotonSSBM said:
I'm going from a community college to a 4 year school-a good one-for physics. I'm starting in the spring which is awkward because I won't have many options for physics classes to take while I'm there other than an honors intro E&M course. I had a really watered down experience with my E&M course at my community college, so I either need to study myself or take an honors course to be prepared for the modern physics class next fall, which is taught with Halliday/Krane. So should I take the honors course or self study?
If you believe that any, ANY chance that you are weak in the material, then YES; enroll in the comparable course at the university.

Likes PhotonSSBM
symbolipoint said:
If you believe that any, ANY chance that you are weak in the material, then YES; enroll in the comparable course at the university.
That was my thought. I'm speaking to an adviser in the coming weeks and I wanted to go in knowing if someone shared my sentiment. Thanks to both of you.

PhotonSSBM

I had my own difficult, frustrating experience with not adequately understanding some technical coursework. I earned a B in something, which I did not learn as well as the grade represented, and because of this, I did badly in the next course of the sequence, and NEEDED TO and RESTUDIED BOTH courses.

Your counselor may say go ahead or he may say do again; but the only safe way is, if you are weak to any extent from your E&M course from the c.c., then enroll in the comparable E&M course at your university.

symbolipoint said:
PhotonSSBM

I had my own difficult, frustrating experience with not adequately understanding some technical coursework. I earned a B in something, which I did not learn as well as the grade represented, and because of this, I did badly in the next course of the sequence, and NEEDED TO and RESTUDIED BOTH courses.

Your counselor may say go ahead or he may say do again; but the only safe way is, if you are weak to any extent from your E&M course from the c.c., then enroll in the comparable E&M course at your university.
Oh yeah, definitely. If I wasn't sure before I am now. The professors are really competent at the school I'm going to, so they'll probably agree. But yeah, since I'm eligible for honors classes I may as well take it. I'll be so ahead in the math I'd be stupid not to. Thanks for the insight and story :)

1. Should I retake a class if I received a poor grade?

It depends on your personal goals and the requirements of your academic program. If the class is a prerequisite for a higher-level course, it may be necessary to retake it. However, if you are able to move forward without the class and it does not significantly impact your overall GPA, retaking it may not be necessary.

2. How do I know if I should retake a class?

Consider your overall academic goals and the importance of the class in relation to your major or future career plans. If you struggled in the class and it is a prerequisite for future courses, it may be beneficial to retake it. Additionally, if the class is a core requirement for your program, retaking it may be necessary to fulfill graduation requirements.

3. Will retaking a class improve my GPA?

Retaking a class can potentially improve your GPA if you receive a higher grade the second time around. However, keep in mind that some schools may only replace your original grade with the retaken grade, while others may average the two grades together. It is important to check with your school's policies before making a decision.

4. Can I retake a class multiple times?

It depends on the policies of your school and your academic program. Some schools may allow you to retake a class multiple times to improve your grade, while others may have limits on how many times you can retake a class. It is important to check with your academic advisor for guidance.

5. Will retaking a class affect my financial aid?

Retaking a class can potentially affect your financial aid, as it may affect your overall credit hours and academic progress. It is important to check with your school's financial aid office to understand how retaking a class may impact your financial aid package.