Should I retake pre-calc before calculus 1

In summary, the speaker has taken a precalculus class a few years ago and recently took calculus 1 at the same school, earning a 3.2. They are now transferring to a four-year school and considering retaking precalculus to better prepare for calculus 1. The reason for retaking is because their previous precalculus course did not cover integration, which is included in the four-year university's calculus 1 course. The speaker is also recommended online resources to brush up on their precalculus skills.
Kiyo15
I have taken precalculus class a few years ago. I finally took calculus 1 and the same school just last quarter and got a 3.2. I had a pretty cool teacher. I'm transferring to a four year school and have to retake calculus 1, but I'm contemplating on retaking a pre calculus at the four year school. Honestly I don't think the 3.2 reflects my knowledge of calculus. I feel that knowing what to expect drives me to go into calculus 1 but a little voice is telling me maybe brush up on some precalculus so that I'm not in a hole. The reason it did not transfer is we never covered intergration at my community college. The four year university has intergration in its calculus 1 course. Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what goes in the courses in your part of the world. Retaking Calculus 1 would be necessary. The course introduces you to limits of functions, gives a good study of differentiation and the derivative, and begins the study of the integral and gives you the beginning skills of integration.

You could study all of Pre-Calculus on your own, not enrolling in the course. You already have the credit. You just need to renew you skill and knowledge.

Check the site videos at mathispower4u.com. They have a series on precalculus topics as well as calculus 1 2 and 3. They are all free to view and run about 10 minutes each.

I recommend ALEKS precalculus and Coursera Calculus One.

1. Should I retake pre-calc if I received a low grade?

It is ultimately up to you and your academic goals. If you feel that your understanding of pre-calc is weak and you want to improve before moving on to calculus, then retaking the course may be beneficial. However, if you are confident in your understanding and are able to succeed in calculus with the knowledge you currently have, then retaking may not be necessary.

2. Will retaking pre-calc affect my graduation timeline?

Retaking pre-calc may delay your graduation if it is a prerequisite for other courses you need to take. However, if you are able to successfully complete pre-calc before the start of the next academic term, it should not significantly impact your graduation timeline.

3. Can I just review pre-calc on my own instead of retaking the course?

If you feel confident in your understanding of pre-calc material, then reviewing on your own may be a viable option. However, it is important to make sure you have a strong grasp of the concepts before moving on to calculus, as it builds upon pre-calc knowledge.

4. Will retaking pre-calc improve my understanding of calculus?

Retaking pre-calc may help solidify your understanding of foundational concepts that are important in calculus. However, it is not a guarantee that retaking the course will lead to a better understanding of calculus. It ultimately depends on your dedication and effort in both courses.

5. How will retaking pre-calc affect my GPA?

Retaking pre-calc will replace your previous grade with the new one in your GPA calculation. If you receive a higher grade, it may improve your GPA. However, if you receive a lower grade, it may lower your GPA. It is important to weigh the potential impact on your GPA before deciding to retake the course.