Transferring to CA School to Finish Undergrad - Private or Public?

In summary, the speaker is looking to transfer to a university in Southern California with a strong Physics program that will better prepare them for graduate school. They are considering private universities, as they may be more affordable than state schools for out-of-state students. The speaker is specifically interested in USC and Cal Tech, but is also considering applying to UC and Cal State schools as a backup. They mention hearing about Harvey Mudd's strong reputation for Physics, but are not sure if they should apply there as well.
pjl2934
Hello all,

I am looking to transfer to CA next school year to finish my Physics BSc at a school that has a stronger program than my current university, which will better prep me for grad school. I am coming from out of state, so it actually seems like private universities could cost me less than state schools. For example, one UC school I looked at was $13k for in-state tuition and $55k for out-of-state! I know that there are traditionally more grants and scholarships available to private school students, so that could help.

My question is, should I apply to a variety of types of schools? A variety meaning private, UC, and Cal State schools. I'm looking to go to southern California (work-related reasons), so the only private schools with strong physics programs that I see are USC and Cal Tech, either of which would be awesome. There are plenty of UC schools and Cal State schools. So, should I apply to both of those private universities and several of the UC and Cal State schools as a back-up?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
pjl2934 said:
I'm looking to go to southern California (work-related reasons), so the only private schools with strong physics programs that I see are USC and Cal Tech,

I know about Harvey Mudd only by reputation, but from what I've heard it's far from, uh, mud. There was a thread about it sometime during recent months, involving a prospective student and a student who's actually there.

1. What are the advantages of transferring to a private school in California for undergrad?

There are several advantages to transferring to a private school in California for undergrad. Private schools typically have smaller class sizes, allowing for more personalized attention from professors. They also tend to have more resources and opportunities for internships and research. Additionally, private schools often have a strong alumni network and connections to potential job opportunities after graduation.

2. What are the advantages of transferring to a public school in California for undergrad?

Transferring to a public school in California for undergrad also has its advantages. Public schools tend to have lower tuition costs, making them a more affordable option for many students. They also often have a wider range of majors and programs to choose from, as well as a more diverse student body. Public schools may also have more opportunities for involvement in sports and other extracurricular activities.

3. What factors should I consider when deciding between a private or public school in California for undergrad?

When making a decision between a private or public school in California for undergrad, it is important to consider factors such as cost, academic programs and resources, campus culture, location, and career opportunities. You should also research the specific schools you are considering and visit their campuses to get a feel for the environment and determine if it is a good fit for you.

4. Are there any specific requirements for transferring to a private or public school in California for undergrad?

Both private and public schools in California have their own specific requirements for transfer students. These may include a minimum GPA, completion of certain coursework, and submission of standardized test scores. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each school you are considering and make sure you meet them before applying.

5. Can I transfer from a community college to a private or public school in California for undergrad?

Yes, it is possible to transfer from a community college to a private or public school in California for undergrad. Many community colleges have transfer agreements with specific schools, making the transfer process smoother. It is important to research the transfer requirements and process for each school you are interested in and work closely with your community college advisor to ensure a successful transfer.