Transform question about this circuit

In summary, In this 3-loop circuit, Vo is the voltage at the top of Vo, R2 is the voltage at the bottom of Vo, and C2 is the voltage at the middle of Vo.
Fuji
Homework Statement
Need to derive the transfer function
Relevant Equations
G(s)=Vo(s)/Vi(s)
F.JPG
I Normally can solve these but when Vo is embeded into the circuit, is throwing me for a loop (no pun is intended). My question is, if I apply Kirchoff's voltage law: VR+VC+VL-Vi=0, I'm not quite sure how this would be set up when Vo is between R1R2 & C1C2?
I believe this ia 4 Loop circuit:
I1 = I2 + I3 + I4
I2 = [(Vin-Vout) / C1] + (Vout / C2)
I3 = [(Vin-Vout) / R1] + (Vout / R2)
I4 = Vin / L
Would this be correct for the assumption?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you label where the currents are with arrows in your diagram? So basically label where the currents "I1", "I2", "I3", etc.. are actually going. That way anyone can get an idea of the directions (i.e. In/Out) you're thinking about.

I was going to suggest using a node voltage method but it seems like you're on a good track for this problem.

The first thing I would suggest is you convert all of the components into "impedances". At least for me, it would be easier to analyze the circuit that way.

So think back to what the equation for an inductor, capacitor, and resistor is. That way, you can convert everything into the "s" domain (or omega format, whichever one you want to call it). Then, from there, you can start writing out equations/relationships. See if things might even cancel out when solving for Vout/Vin.

We're not allowed to give "direct" answers to problems on here. I'm just trying to give you tips/advice on what steps to take or approaches to use.

Thanks for the input. I'm not looking for the answer, but if you check my work to see if I'm evaluating the problem correctly so far. I ended up changing this to a 3 loop circuit. It's not finished since I haven't derived the transfer function yet but before I go any furthur, I was wonder what I have is correct. The attached pdf has six pages to it.

Attachments

• Circuit.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
If Z2(s)=C1*C2/(C1+C2)*s ;Z3=R1+R2 ;Z4=1/L/s

Then, in my opinion, since Vi/s=Z2(s)*I2(s)=Z3(s)*I3(s)=Z4(s)*I4(s)

I2(s)=Vi/s/(C1*C2)*(C1+C2)/s=Vi/s^2*(C1+C2)/(C1*C2)

I3(s)=Vi/s/(R1+R2)

I3(s)*R1+Vo-I2/C1/s=0

Vo=I2(s)/C1/s-I3(s)*R1

Attachments

• Transfer Function Gs.jpg
    Transfer Function Gs.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 79
Fuji, the first thing to do is get rid of L. Since Vi is a voltage source, all L does is draw some current from Vi, but it has no effect on Vo.

R1 and R2 form a voltage divider across Vi, and C1 and C2 do the same thing.

Let the right hand terminal of Vi be ground (reference node), and calculate the voltage across R2 using the voltage divider formula; that will be the voltage at the top of Vo. Calculate the voltage across C2 using the voltage divider formula; that will be the voltage at the bottom of Vo. The value of Vo will be the difference of the voltage across R2 and the voltage across C2.

Likes Babadag

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop of conductive material that allows electricity to flow through it. It is made up of various components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors that work together to control the flow of electricity.

2. How do you transform a question about a circuit?

To transform a question about a circuit, you can start by identifying the main components of the circuit, such as the power source, resistors, and capacitors. Then, you can analyze the connections between these components and determine how they affect the flow of electricity. Finally, you can use scientific principles and equations to answer the question.

3. What is the purpose of transforming a question about a circuit?

The purpose of transforming a question about a circuit is to gain a deeper understanding of how the circuit works and how different components affect its behavior. By transforming a question, you can also apply scientific principles and equations to solve problems and make predictions about the circuit's performance.

4. Can you give an example of transforming a question about a circuit?

Sure, for example, you could transform the question "What is the voltage across this resistor?" into "How does the resistance of this resistor affect the voltage across it?" By transforming the question, you are able to analyze the relationship between two important components of the circuit and understand how they affect each other.

5. How can transforming a question about a circuit help in scientific research?

Transforming a question about a circuit can help in scientific research by providing a structured and systematic approach to understanding and analyzing the circuit. By transforming the question, you can break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and use scientific principles and equations to find solutions. This can lead to a better understanding of the circuit and potentially new discoveries or improvements in technology.