Transformation that Preserves Action (Lagrangian Mechanics)

In summary, The given problem deals with a continuous family of coordinate and time transformations and the preservation of action. Using the Extended Noether's Theorem and the Energy Function, the goal is to show that the quantity ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^{\alpha}}(\dot{q}^{\alpha}\tau-f^{\alpha})-L\tau## is a constant of motion. Various methods and approaches are used, including integration by parts and re-writing the integrand to match the form of the constant of motion.
Xyius
Hello, I am stuck on the following problem.

1. Homework Statement

Consider the continuous family of coordinate and time transformations (for small ##\epsilon##).

[tex]Q^{\alpha}=q^{\alpha}+\epsilon f^{\alpha}(q,t)[/tex]
[tex]T= t+\epsilon \tau (q,t)[/tex]

Show that if this transformation preserves the action
[tex]S=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}L(q,\dot{q},t)dt=\int_{T_1}^{T_2}L(Q,\dot{Q},T)dT[/tex],
then
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^{\alpha}}(\dot{q}^{\alpha}\tau-f^{\alpha})-L\tau[/tex]
is a constant of motion.

Homework Equations

I am guessing as to which equations I may need[/B]
Extended Noether's Theorem:
[tex]\Gamma=\sum_{\alpha}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_{\alpha}}\left( \frac{\partial \psi_{\alpha}}{\partial \epsilon} \right)_{\epsilon = 0}-\Psi_{\epsilon = 0} = \text{Constant}[/tex]
Where ##\Psi## is a function in which it's time derivative is the difference between the Lagrangian before and after the transformation (Note that it is possible that the extended Noether's theorem doesn't apply and the normal Noether's theorem is sufficient, I do not know).

The Energy Function:
[tex]E=\sum_{\beta}\dot{x}_{\beta}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_{\beta}}-L[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first thing I think I should do is apply the transformation to the Action. First I need to find ##dT##.
[tex]T= t+\epsilon \tau (q,t) \rightarrow dT=(1+\epsilon \dot{\tau})dt \rightarrow dt=\frac{1}{1-(-\epsilon \dot{\tau})}dT \approx (1-\epsilon \dot{\tau})dT[/tex]
Thus the action is,
[tex]S'=\int_{t_1+\epsilon \tau(q,t_1)}^{t_2+\epsilon \tau(q,t_2)}L(Q,\dot{Q},T)dT-\epsilon \int_{t_1+\epsilon \tau(q,t_1)}^{t_2+\epsilon \tau(q,t_2)}\tau L(Q,\dot{Q},T)dT.[/tex]
[tex]S'=\int_{T_1}^{T_2}L(Q,\dot{Q},T)dT-\epsilon \tau L[/tex]
[tex]S'=S-\epsilon \tau L[/tex]

Thus when applying this transformation, the two actions differ by ##\epsilon \tau L##. This seems very similar to Noether's theorem except for that theorem we are talking about Lagrangians and not Actions. However, since the action is just the integral of the Lagrangian, can I assume the same principles apply? In Noether's theorem, we had
[tex]\frac{\partial L'}{\partial \epsilon}=\frac{d \Psi}{dt}[/tex]
In this case it appears that we have the following,
[tex]\frac{\partial S'}{\partial \epsilon}=\frac{d \Psi}{dT}=-L\tau[/tex]

Can I therefore make the conjecture that,
[tex]\Gamma=\sum_{\alpha}\frac{\partial S}{\partial \dot{q}_{\alpha}}\left( \frac{\partial \psi_{\alpha}}{\partial \epsilon} \right)_{\epsilon = 0}-\Psi_{\epsilon = 0} = \text{Constant}[/tex]

However evaluating this I do not get the required answer. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I have tried a different approach and am still getting stuck.

The change in action up to first order is given by,

[tex]S'-S=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\left[ \frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\delta t + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\delta q + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\delta \dot{q}\right][/tex]
[tex]S'-S=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\left[ \frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\epsilon \tau + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\epsilon f+ \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\frac{d}{dt}\left( \epsilon f \right)\right][/tex]

I have tried doing various integration by parts and still cannot seem to get to the correct answer. :(

EDIT:

A little more headway. I can re-write the integrand as the following.
[tex]\left[ \frac{\partial L}{\partial t}\epsilon \tau + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}\epsilon f+ \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\frac{d \epsilon}{dt} f + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\frac{df}{dt} \epsilon \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} \tau + \frac{\partial L}{\partial q} f + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\frac{df}{dt}\right)\epsilon + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\frac{d \epsilon}{dt} f \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \frac{dL}{d\epsilon}\epsilon + \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\frac{d \epsilon}{dt} f \right][/tex]

I am gettin' there! (I think). The goal is to write the integrand of the same form as the constant of motion. The integrand must be zero for the action to be invariant under the transformation.

Last edited:

1. What is the principle of transformation that preserves action in Lagrangian Mechanics?

The principle of transformation that preserves action states that the equations of motion in a physical system remain unchanged under a transformation of coordinates as long as the action of the system remains invariant. This principle is a fundamental concept in Lagrangian Mechanics and is also known as the principle of least action.

2. How does the principle of transformation that preserves action simplify the equations of motion?

The principle of transformation that preserves action allows for the use of generalized coordinates in Lagrangian Mechanics, which simplifies the equations of motion by eliminating the need for using complicated and specific coordinate systems for each physical system. This results in a more universal and elegant approach to solving problems in mechanics.

3. Can the principle of transformation that preserves action be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, the principle of transformation that preserves action is a universal concept and can be applied to all physical systems as long as the system can be described by a Lagrangian function. This includes classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and even relativistic mechanics.

4. What is the role of symmetry in the principle of transformation that preserves action?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in the principle of transformation that preserves action. The invariance of the action under a transformation is only possible if the system possesses certain symmetries. These symmetries can be continuous or discrete and dictate the behavior of the system under transformations.

5. How is the principle of transformation that preserves action related to the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of transformation that preserves action is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy. In Lagrangian Mechanics, the energy of a system is related to its action, and the conservation of energy follows from the invariance of the action under transformations. This connection allows for a deeper understanding of the conservation laws in physics.