Transformer Efficiency Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a friend who designed a special transformer to improve efficiency and decrease voltage regulation. However, when tested, the results showed that the input complex power (Sin) was actually 130VA instead of the expected 100VA, resulting in an efficiency of only 74.38%. The cause of this event is unknown, but it is speculated that there may be confusion between volt-amps and watts in the design process. Further research and understanding of transformer design is recommended.
BlackMelon
Hello,

My friend designs a special transformer, believing that its efficiency will rise and voltage regulation will fall compared to an ordinary one . He did a test with the same resistive load and got results below:

T1(ordinary) Vp=220V 50Hz AC Vs(nl) = 99.8V Vs(fl) = 92.8V Pin = 129W Pout =92.8W
T2(special) Vp=220V 50Hz AC Vs(nl) = 99.8V Vs(fl) = 96.7V Pin = 130W Pout = 96.7W

where:
Vp: Primary voltage
Vs: Secondary voltage
Pin: Input power from a 220V source. (household outlet)
Pout: Output power at a load
All voltages are in RMS

He expected that the input complex power(Sin) of the special transformer should be 100VA with an efficiency of 90%.
However, the Sin is actually 130VA and the efficiency is about 74.38%. What is the cause of this event?

Thank you
BlackMelon

Engineering news on Phys.org
BlackMelon said:
What is the cause of this event?
A question well stated is half answered.
You're asking us to guess .
Okay -
Excerpting from your post -
BlackMelon said:
He expected that the input complex power(Sin) of the special transformer should be 100VA...
Pin = 130W... However, the Sin is actually 130VA
Sin and Pin should differ by magnetizing VA. So,
My guess is somebody doesn't know the difference between a volt-amp and a watt.

I cannot can figure out your riddle from what you've given us.

Hardy, I agree with you. The current source should supply core loss resistance with a real power, magnetizing inductance with a reactive power, and a leakage inductance with a reactive power also. I mean even without a resistive load, there should be both real and reactive.

The experiment of my friend is strange. The 130VA of a voltage source is purely from a wattage. I ask him twice before posting this.

Also,Neumaier, thank you for the information. I will tell my friend to read this carefully.

1. What is transformer efficiency?

Transformer efficiency is the ratio of output power to input power in a transformer. It is expressed as a percentage and is a measure of how well the transformer is able to convert electrical energy from one voltage level to another.

2. Why is transformer efficiency important?

Transformer efficiency is important because it affects the overall energy efficiency of a power system. A higher efficiency means less energy is lost during the transformation process, resulting in lower energy costs and reduced environmental impact.

3. How is transformer efficiency calculated?

Transformer efficiency is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100. The output power can be measured with a wattmeter, while the input power can be calculated by multiplying the input voltage by the input current.

4. What factors affect transformer efficiency?

There are several factors that can affect transformer efficiency, including the design of the transformer, the quality of materials used, the ambient temperature, and the load on the transformer. A transformer with better design and higher quality materials will typically have a higher efficiency.

5. How can transformer efficiency be improved?

Transformer efficiency can be improved by using high-quality materials and designing the transformer for maximum efficiency. Regular maintenance and proper loading of the transformer can also help improve efficiency. Additionally, using alternative energy sources and implementing smart grid technologies can also contribute to higher transformer efficiency.