Transformer for CDI ignition power supply

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of fitting a modern CDI ignition on an old motorcycle with a permanent magnet alternator. It is suggested to use a transformer to provide a high voltage AC source for the ignition, along with a rectifier and capacitor. The use of a thyristor and timing advance is also mentioned. There is a suggestion to experiment with a small transformer and to potentially rewind the charging coil for high voltage. It is also mentioned that some British bikes have a unique setup with a large capacitor instead of a battery.
mynode
I have an old motorcycle which I would like to fit with a modern CDI ignition.

The ignition would be of the type typically fitted to dirt bikes and which require a high voltage AC source. They have a permanent magnet alternator with a separate high voltage stator for the ignition in addition to a 12V stator.
My bike has a permanent magnet alternator which contains two 6V stators wired in parallel. I am wondering if it is possible to use a transformer to provide a ~300V source from the stock alternator to power the CDI. I could dedicate one of the stators to the ignition if necessary.
Is providing the high voltage supply as simple as this or am I missing something? Is there any specific type of transformer or characteristics/features I would need?

mynode said:
Is providing the high voltage supply as simple as this or am I missing something? Is there any specific type of transformer or characteristics/features I would need?

It'd be easy to say "Sure a 6 to 300 transformer is all you need"
but we don't really know if that'd work.

The CDI's i have encountered indeed make a few hundred volts DC from a coil
but it's not continuous wave like your housepower from a wall socket
it's a single pulse every time the magnet passes by the CDI's supply coil
which they capture with a rectifier and store with a capacitor
then deliver to the coil using a thyristor at the proper time to fire the sparkplug.
Rectifier, capacitor and thyristor are inside the "Power Pack" usually a sealed and potted plastic box that you can't open.
You probably knew that already...
In outboards it's a winding on the stator , often but not always one winding for each cylinder.
The coil is just like a charging coil but with more turns
and
the coil is physically located so as to charge the capacitor slightly before the CDI needs to make use of that charge,
In other words so magnet passes coil before TDC + timing advance .

Do you have any electrical knowledge ?
Would it be within your ability to experiment -
connect a small transformer, rectifier and capacitor to one of your 6 volt coils,
and see if it'll capture a couple hundred volts when you kick over the motor?

A small transformer from a wall-wart might work..
Maybe you could rewind one of those charging coils for high voltage.

That's the closest i can come to an answer.

Can you post a photo? And DC resistance of those charge windings? And open circuit voltage at around 3000 RPM ?

PS it's not a '60's British bike is it? Old BSA's positioned the magnets and charge coils so you can use a huge capacitor instead of a battery . Racers liked that.
My '56 Enfield had a magneto...

old jim

1) What is the purpose of a transformer in a CDI ignition power supply?

A transformer is used to step up the voltage from the battery to a higher voltage needed for the CDI ignition system to function properly. This higher voltage is required to create the spark needed to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the engine.

2) How does the transformer in a CDI ignition power supply work?

The transformer works on the principle of electromagnetic induction. The primary winding of the transformer is connected to the battery and the secondary winding is connected to the CDI unit. When the primary winding is energized with DC voltage, it creates a magnetic field which induces a high voltage in the secondary winding, which is then used to power the CDI system.

3) What is the difference between a step-up transformer and a step-down transformer?

A step-up transformer increases the voltage while decreasing the current, whereas a step-down transformer decreases the voltage while increasing the current. In a CDI ignition power supply, a step-up transformer is used to increase the voltage from the battery to the required level for the CDI system to function.

4) Can the transformer in a CDI ignition power supply be replaced with a different type of transformer?

No, the transformer used in a CDI ignition power supply is specifically designed for this purpose and cannot be replaced with a different type of transformer. Using the wrong type of transformer can cause damage to the CDI system and potentially be dangerous.

5) What are the common problems associated with the transformer in a CDI ignition power supply?

The most common problem with the transformer is a short circuit or open circuit, which can be caused by overheating, loose connections, or physical damage. These issues can lead to a loss of power to the CDI system and result in engine failure or difficulty starting the engine.