Transformer Voltage Regulation

In summary: Vp=15.67*0.013248=0.156892In summary, the voltage regulation at full load is determined by the rated voltage of the transformer, reduced by the primary to secondary number of turns ratio minus the transformer full load voltage drop.
Jawad
Hi,
I want to calculate voltage regulation of a transfromer. I have learned that voltage regulation is (Vnl-Vfl)/Vfl.
While solving some problems for practice I came across multiple questions. In some of them where the load is given I understand how to solve them. I just find the No load voltage and then the voltage at load when the load is connected.
But in the problems where it is written that find the voltage regulation at full load and "LOAD" is not specified there the writer find voltage regulation like this:
1. Find the voltage at the secondary of the transformer by adding the voltage drop at the Rp and Xp and voltage at output.
2. Uses rated voltage in place of Vfl.
3. Finds the Voltage Regulation.

I can't understand why is the writer doing it. Spent my whole day trying to understand it. Please Help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Actually rated voltage as defined on IEC 60076-1 CH. 3.4.3:
“rated voltage of a winding (Ur) the voltage assigned to be applied, or developed at NO-LOAD, between the terminals of an untapped winding, or of a tapped winding connected on the principal tapping. For a three-phase winding it is the voltage between line terminals[PHASE-TO-PHASE].
I did not find an ANSI/IEEE a clear definition. However I think the rated secondary voltage has to be no-load voltage.
Now, the full load voltage at transformer secondary terminals it is the primary rated voltage considered constant [that means independent of load] reduced by primary to secondary number of turns ratio [this is approximate the ratio of primary to secondary voltage rated -at no-load] minus the transformer full load voltage drop.
Actually Vfl=Vnl-VD then Vnl-Vfl=VD.
See IEEE 141 CH.3.11 Calculation of voltage drops.
The exact formula:
VD=Vp+I*R*COSFI+I*X*SINFI-SQRT(V^2-(I*X*COSFI-I*R*SINFI)^2)
Approximate formula: I*R*COSFI+I*X*SINFI
From the short-circuit voltage[vk%] and R/X ratio we can calculate R and X .
Let's say a transformer of 1000 kVA 13.8/0.48 kV vk%=5.75% and X/R [See ANSI C37.010] 6.5 cos(fi)=0.9 [=pf]. sin(fi)=sqrt(1-0.9^2)= 0.43589
From Zk^2=R^2+X^2 and X/R=6.5 we get X=0.013094 and R=0.002014 ohm
I=1000[kVA]/SQRT(3)/0.48[kV]=1202.81A then
VD=1202.81*(0.002014*.9+0.013094*.9)=9.045V.
We shall multiply by sqrt(3) in order to find the phase-to-phase voltage drop and finally we get 15.67 V[3.26%].

Sorry. I think I skipped Zk=V^2/S*vk%/100 [V=0.48kV,S=1 MVA]
Zk=0.48^2/1*5.75/100=0.013248

What is transformer voltage regulation?

Transformer voltage regulation refers to the ability of a transformer to maintain a constant output voltage despite fluctuations in the input voltage. It is a measure of the transformer's ability to regulate or control the output voltage.

What factors affect transformer voltage regulation?

The main factors that affect transformer voltage regulation include the transformer's design, size, and operating conditions such as load level, ambient temperature, and frequency. The type of transformer also plays a role, with some types having better voltage regulation than others.

How is transformer voltage regulation calculated?

Transformer voltage regulation is calculated by the ratio of the change in output voltage to the full-load secondary voltage. This is expressed as a percentage and is usually determined by conducting a no-load and full-load test on the transformer.

What is the acceptable range for transformer voltage regulation?

The acceptable range for transformer voltage regulation varies depending on the type and size of the transformer. Generally, a voltage regulation of 5% or less is considered good for distribution transformers, while a voltage regulation of 1% or less is considered excellent for power transformers.

How can transformer voltage regulation be improved?

Transformer voltage regulation can be improved by using higher quality materials and components, designing the transformer with a lower resistance and reactance, and implementing effective cooling systems to reduce temperature variations. Additionally, regular maintenance and proper load management can also help improve voltage regulation.