Transforming FERMI SMARTS data from magnitude to flux

In summary, the FERMI SMARTS website provides calibrated emissions data for blazars using differential photometry. You can use the equation fa/fb=10^(mb-ma/2.5) to convert the data to calibrated flux, as long as the variables are correctly defined and the average magnitudes of the reference stars are used.
seo_andromeda
I'm using data from the FERMI SMARTS website, which gives the emissions of blazers. The data has been calibrated using differential photometry (dividing by the average magnitude of a number of reference stars.)

"The raw photometry of comparison stars in the field of the blazar was calibrated using photometric zero points ... correcting for atmospheric extinction derived from all the standards taken together... the average of the comparison stars was used as a basis of differential photometry with respect to the blazar for all observations"

The code I'm using requires inputs of time,flux,error. Therefore I need to convert the data back to flux, my question is can I just use this equation: ma - mb = -2.5log(fa/fb) rearranged as fa/fb=10^(mb-ma/2.5) to get calibrated flux?

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use the equation you provided to calculate the calibrated flux of a blazar. You will need to make sure that your variables (ma, mb, fa, and fb) are correctly defined and that the values you use for ma and mb are the average magnitudes of the reference stars.

1. How do I convert FERMI SMARTS data from magnitude to flux?

To convert FERMI SMARTS data from magnitude to flux, you will need to use a conversion formula. The formula is as follows: Flux = 10^(-0.4 * Magnitude). This formula takes into account the logarithmic nature of magnitudes and converts it into a linear scale for flux.

2. Can I convert FERMI SMARTS data from magnitude to flux for all wavelengths?

Yes, you can use the same conversion formula for all wavelengths. However, it is important to note that this conversion is only valid for non-linear scales, such as astronomical magnitudes. For linear scales, such as photometric flux, a different conversion formula will need to be used.

3. Is there a specific unit for FERMI SMARTS flux data?

The unit for FERMI SMARTS flux data is erg/s/cm^2/Å. This unit represents the amount of energy per unit area per unit time per unit wavelength interval. It is commonly used in astronomy to measure the flux of electromagnetic radiation.

4. Can I convert FERMI SMARTS data from flux to magnitude?

Yes, you can use the inverse of the conversion formula mentioned above to convert FERMI SMARTS data from flux to magnitude. The formula is as follows: Magnitude = -2.5 * log10(Flux). This will give you the magnitude value for a given flux measurement.

5. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when converting FERMI SMARTS data?

Yes, there are a few factors that need to be taken into account when converting FERMI SMARTS data. These include the distance to the source, the extinction caused by interstellar dust, and the spectral response of the instrument used to measure the data. These factors can affect the accuracy of the conversion and should be considered when interpreting the results.