Transforming Stress-Energy Tensors in Different Frames

In summary: I think you have it backwards. If you are transforming from the comoving frame to frame O, then the first row and first column should be ##\gamma## and not ##\rho_0##.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the components of the stress-energy tensors for a group of particles moving with the same velocity in an inertial frame. Two methods are proposed and it is shown that both should give the same result. However, there may be errors in the calculations and further clarification is needed on the matrix transformations.
Silviu

Homework Statement

In an inertial frame O calculate the components of the stress–energy tensors of the following systems:
  1. (a) A group of particles all moving with the same velocity ##v = \beta e_x##, as seen in O.
    Let the rest-mass density of these particles be ##\rho_0##, as measured in their comoving frame. Assume a sufficiently high density of particles to enable treating them as a continuum.

Homework Equations

##T^{\alpha \beta} =\rho_0 U^{\alpha} U^\beta##

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation, and I got the same results as in the book (as the particles can be assumed to be "dust"). However, in the MCRF, the tensor has ##T^{00} = \rho_0## and all the other components equal to 0. If I try to calculate the tensor in another frame moving with speed ##\beta## along the x-axis of this MCRF using ##T^{\alpha ' \beta '} = \Lambda^{\alpha '}_\alpha \Lambda^{\beta '}_\beta T^{\alpha \beta}##. I don't get the same result. Why is this approach wrong? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Both methods should give the correct answer. Can you show more detail of your calculations?

TSny said:
Both methods should give the correct answer. Can you show more detail of your calculations?
We have ##\Lambda = \begin{pmatrix}
\gamma & -\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
-\beta \gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}## so ##T' = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\rho_0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}## =
##
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
\rho_0\gamma & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
-\beta\rho_0\gamma & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
## =
##
\begin{pmatrix}
\rho_0 \gamma^2 + \beta^2 \gamma^2 \rho_0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
-2\beta \rho_0 \gamma^2 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{pmatrix}
##

Is this the matrix that transforms from the comoving frame to frame O, or does it transfrom from O to the comoving frame?

TSny said:
Is this the matrix that transforms from the comoving frame to frame O, or does it transfrom from O to the comoving frame?
Sorry, I replied to your previous post. That is what you obtain going from MCRF to the one that is observing it (I hope I didn't do mistakes). However, when you do the other method you have the 01 and 11 entries non-zero, so I am doing something wrong here.

It helps to write the components of ##\Lambda## as ## \Lambda^{\alpha '} \, _\mu## so that the first index ##\alpha '## is the row index and the second index ##\mu## is the column index. Then you have ##T^{\alpha ' \beta '} = \Lambda^{\alpha '} \, _\mu \Lambda^{\beta '} \, _\nu T^{\mu \nu}##. You can then see that this is not the same as matrix multiplication ##\Lambda \Lambda T##. But note that

##T^{\alpha ' \beta '} = \Lambda^{\alpha '} \, _\mu \Lambda^{\beta '} \, _\nu T^{\mu \nu} = \Lambda^{\alpha '} \, _\mu T^{\mu \nu} \Lambda^{\beta '} \, _\nu = \Lambda^{\alpha '} \, _\mu T^{\mu \nu} \left( \Lambda^T \right) _\nu \, ^{\beta '} ##.

Here, ##\Lambda ^ T## is the transpose of ##\Lambda##. So the matrix multiplication is ##\Lambda T \Lambda^T##.

The other issue is whether or not you have the correct entries for ##\Lambda## for transforming from the comoving frame to frame O.

1. What is the Stress Energy Tensor in Dust?

The Stress Energy Tensor in Dust is a mathematical concept used in the field of general relativity to describe the distribution of matter and energy in a system. It is a tensor that represents the stress and energy density of a collection of particles, such as dust, in a given space.

2. How is the Stress Energy Tensor in Dust used in physics?

The Stress Energy Tensor in Dust is used in physics to understand the effects of gravity on a collection of particles, such as dust. It is also used in the study of cosmology to describe the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

3. What is the difference between the Stress Energy Tensor in Dust and other stress energy tensors?

The Stress Energy Tensor in Dust differs from other stress energy tensors in that it is specifically used to describe the distribution of matter and energy in a system made up of particles, such as dust. Other stress energy tensors may be used to describe different types of matter or energy, such as radiation or electromagnetic fields.

4. How is the Stress Energy Tensor in Dust calculated?

The Stress Energy Tensor in Dust is calculated using the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy in a system. The specific calculations may vary depending on the specific system being studied.

5. What is the significance of the Stress Energy Tensor in Dust?

The Stress Energy Tensor in Dust is significant because it allows scientists to understand and predict the effects of gravity on a collection of particles, such as dust. It is also an important concept in the study of cosmology and the structure of the universe.