Electronics - Have I found the transient current correctly?

In summary: So, in this case, ##V = 120 V##.In summary, the conversation discusses a series CR circuit with a step voltage of 120V and known values for C and R. Using KVL and Laplace transforms, an equation for the transient circuit current is obtained when the voltage across the capacitor is at its steady state value of 120V. The conversation also addresses a negative value for the current, which is explained by the direction of current flow when the supply voltage is switched off and the capacitor is discharging.
DanRow93

Homework Statement

A step voltage of 120v is applied to a series CR circuit. C = (4x10^(-6))F R = (20x10^(3))Ω
When the capacitor is fully charged the supply voltage is removed. Using KVL and Laplace transforms obtain an equation for the transient circuit current, given when t = 0, the voltage across the capacitor is at its steady state value of 120v.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V = v_r + v_c

0 = Rdq/dt + q/c

Laplace Transform 10:

0 = R(sq(s) - q_0) + (q(s))/c

q_0 = VC = 120 x (4x10^-6) = (4.8x10^(-4))
I'm not sure about this part, I think q_0 should be this.

0 = (20x10^3) (sq(s) - (4.8x10^(-4)) + (q(s)) / (4x10^(-6))

Divide through by R = (20x10^3):

0 = sq(s) - (4.8x10^(-4)) + (q(s)) / ((4x10^(-6)) (20x10^3))

Rearranging this gave:

q(s) = (4.8x10^(-4)) / (s+(25/2))

= (4.8x10^(-4)) x (1/(s + (25/2)))

Laplace Transform 2:

q = (4.8x10^(-4)) e^(-25t/2)

i = dq/dt = d/dt ((4.8x10^(-4)) e^(-25t/2))

i = -(3/500) e^(-25t/2) A

Does this seem right? I have a negative answer for current, and it is the same as the transient I found in an earlier question where I had to find the transient current when the voltage was applied, but this time negative.

Any help on where I've gone wrong is appreciated! If possible could you use the differential equations like I have. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you didn't plug numbers in until the end. I don't see any obvious mistakes. Is there a reason you think it's wrong?

Symbolically, you should get ##q(t) = q_0 e^{-t/RC}##. If you differentiate this expression, you should find that ##i(0) = -V_0/R##. The negative sign should make sense to you, and why the magnitude is ##V_0/R## should as well.

DanRow93 said:
Does this seem right? I have a negative answer for current, and it is the same as the transient I found in an earlier question where I had to find the transient current when the voltage was applied, but this time negative.
A negative value for the current just means that your choice of direction for the current definition happened to be contrary to what actually is going on. You made that choice perhaps unknowingly when you wrote the equations. More specifically, dq/dt being the change in charge on the capacitor happens to actually be negative when the capacitor is discharging, whereas the math was written assuming current flowing into the capacitor and dq positive. No worries, just interpret the current direction appropriately.

vela said:
It would help if you didn't plug numbers in until the end. I don't see any obvious mistakes. Is there a reason you think it's wrong?

Symbolically, you should get ##q(t) = q_0 e^{-t/RC}##. If you differentiate this expression, you should find that ##i(0) = -V_0/R##. The negative sign should make sense to you, and why the magnitude is ##V_0/R## should as well.

I wasn't quite sure about q_0 = VC ; if I should use 120v or 0v as the voltage supply has been switched off.

gneill said:
A negative value for the current just means that your choice of direction for the current definition happened to be contrary to what actually is going on. You made that choice perhaps unknowingly when you wrote the equations. More specifically, dq/dt being the change in charge on the capacitor happens to actually be negative when the capacitor is discharging, whereas the math was written assuming current flowing into the capacitor and dq positive. No worries, just interpret the current direction appropriately.

So to clarify, it makes sense that the current flows in the opposite direction around the circuit when the supply voltage is switched off and the capacitor is discharging, when compared to the current direction when the supply voltage is switched on?

DanRow93 said:
So to clarify, it makes sense that the current flows in the opposite direction around the circuit when the supply voltage is switched off and the capacitor is discharging, when compared to the current direction when the supply voltage is switched on?
Yes. The capacitor is then supplying the emf that drives the current, and it will be in the opposite direction from the current that initially charged the capacitor.

gneill said:
Yes. The capacitor is then supplying the emf that drives the current, and it will be in the opposite direction from the current that initially charged the capacitor.

Great, thanks!

DanRow93 said:
I wasn't quite sure about q_0 = VC ; if I should use 120v or 0v as the voltage supply has been switched off.
##Q = CV## is the defining relationship for a capacitor. Just remember that ##V## corresponds to the voltage across the capacitor. When the voltage supply is set to 0 V, that has nothing to do with the voltage across capacitor, which still has the charge it had the instant before.

1. How do I know if I have found the transient current correctly?

The best way to determine if you have found the transient current correctly is to compare your results with a known or expected value. This can be done through simulation or by performing tests on a physical circuit. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and ensuring all variables and units are correct can help verify the accuracy of your results.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of my transient current measurement?

There are several factors that can impact the accuracy of transient current measurements. These include noise in the circuit, incorrect instrument settings, and the quality of the components used. It is important to carefully set up and calibrate your instruments, as well as use high-quality components, to minimize these sources of error.

3. Is it necessary to account for parasitic effects when calculating transient current?

Yes, it is important to consider and account for parasitic effects when calculating transient current. These effects, such as stray capacitance and inductance, can significantly impact the behavior of a circuit and therefore affect the accuracy of your measurements. Proper circuit design techniques can help minimize these effects.

4. Can I use the same method to find transient current for all types of electronic circuits?

No, the method for finding transient current may differ depending on the type of circuit. For example, a DC circuit will have a different transient current than an AC circuit. It is important to understand the characteristics of the circuit and use the appropriate methods and equations to accurately find the transient current.

5. How can I use transient current measurements in practical applications?

Transient current measurements can be used to analyze the behavior of a circuit during switching or startup, and can help identify potential issues and areas for improvement. This information can be used to optimize circuit design and improve overall performance. Additionally, transient current measurements can be used to troubleshoot and diagnose problems in a circuit.