Transient state energy balance -- Variable volume system

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy balance on a variable volume system with a tank storing a liquid substance. The system has mass input and output, does pV work, and has heat transferred in and out. The energy balance equation is simplified and there is a discussion on whether to use dU or dH. It is concluded that for non-isochoric processes, dU can be used with the inclusion of pV work, or dH can be used without the inclusion of pV work. There is also a discussion on how to account for microscopic properties like viscous stresses and pressure gradients within the fluid.
MexChemE
Hello PF! I have some questions regarding the accumulation term for the energy balance on a variable volume system. Suppose we have a tank storing a liquid substance. The tank has a moving boundary at the top, which can expand unlimitedly. The system has a mass input [itex]\dot{m}_1[/itex] and mass output [itex]\dot{m}_2[/itex], where [itex]\dot{m}_1 > \dot{m}_2[/itex]. The system does pV work at a rate [itex]\dot{W}[/itex]. Also, consider heat is being transferred into the system by a coiled tube heat exchanger inside the tank at a rate [itex]\dot{Q}_1[/itex], and the system loses heat through its walls at a rate [itex]\dot{Q}_2[/itex]. Also, consider no phase changes happen at any time during the process. I included a rather simple diagram of the process.
tank.png

The overall macroscopic energy balance of the system is given by the following equation.
[tex]\frac{dE}{dt} = \dot{m}_1[\hat{H}_1 + \hat{K}_1 + \hat{P}_1] - \dot{m}_2[\hat{H}_2 + \hat{K}_2 + \hat{P}_2] + \dot{Q}_1 - \dot{Q}_2 - \dot{W}[/tex]
Assuming the changes in kinetic and potential energies in both the system and mass flows are not significant, and letting [itex]\dot{W} = p \dot{V}[/itex] we can simplify the energy balance equation.
[tex]\frac{dU}{dt} = \dot{m}_1 \hat{H}_1 - \dot{m}_2 \hat{H}_2 + \dot{Q}_1 - \dot{Q}_2 - p \dot{V}[/tex]
If we want an equation for temperature, we can express the internal energy in terms of the specific heat capacity and temperature. However, as this is not a constant volume process, I'm not comfortable using dU in the energy balance and I was wondering if it is possible to use dH, so I applied some thermodynamic definitions and did some algebra. However, I don't know if what I did is correct. First, since U = H - pV
[tex]\frac{dH}{dt} - p \frac{dV}{dt} = \dot{m}_1 \hat{H}_1 - \dot{m}_2 \hat{H}_2 + \dot{Q}_1 - \dot{Q}_2 - p \dot{V}[/tex]
But [itex]\frac{dV}{dt} = \dot{V}[/itex], so, we can cancel the pV terms on both sides and finally arrive at
[tex]\frac{dH}{dt} = \dot{m}_1 \hat{H}_1 - \dot{m}_2 \hat{H}_2 + \dot{Q}_1 - \dot{Q}_2[/tex]
After this, I arrived at the conclusion that, for non-isochoric processes, we can use dU as long as we include the pV work done by the system in the energy balance, or, we can use dH without including the system's pV work in the energy balance. Is this correct? I think there's actually nothing wrong with using dU, however, I'd like to know what the people of PF thinks about this.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that this is not valid. If the contents of the tank are not uniform and vary with spatial position, then using the pressure at the boundary certainly can't be used to get the enthalpy of the contents.

Secondly, if there are significant viscous stresses present, then to get the work at the boundary, the viscous stresses certainly need to be included in getting the force per unit area at the boundary, and one cannot just use the pressure of the contents to get the work. The work at a boundary is correctly written as PextdV, where Pext represents the force per unit area exerted by the surroundings on the deforming part of the system. Pext must match the total compressive stress of the system contents at the boundary, which includes the viscous stresses.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I think that this is not valid. If the contents of the tank are not uniform and vary with spatial position, then using the pressure at the boundary certainly can't be used to get the enthalpy of the contents.

Secondly, if there are significant viscous stresses present, then to get the work at the boundary, the viscous stresses certainly need to be included in getting the force per unit area at the boundary, and one cannot just use the pressure of the contents to get the work. The work at a boundary is correctly written as PextdV, where Pext represents the force per unit area exerted by the surroundings on the deforming part of the system. Pext must match the total compressive stress of the system contents at the boundary, which includes the viscous stresses.

Is the procedure still incorrect if we consider the fluid to be inviscid and the process to be quasistatic?

However, as you say, if we do take into account all those microscopic properties like viscous stresses and pressure gradients within the layers of the fluid (I'm not sure if I'm saying this correctly), is it better then to just use dU? Also, something I did not have in mind while writing the OP is that for solids and liquids dU = dH (at least in equilibrium thermodynamics, as far as I know).

MexChemE said:
Is the procedure still incorrect if we consider the fluid to be inviscid and the process to be quasistatic?
In my judgement, it would then not be incorrect.
However, as you say, if we do take into account all those microscopic properties like viscous stresses and pressure gradients within the layers of the fluid (I'm not sure if I'm saying this correctly), is it better then to just use dU?
Are you saying "then" or "than?"
Also, something I did not have in mind while writing the OP is that for solids and liquids dU = dH (at least in equilibrium thermodynamics, as far as I know).
Yes. This is a good approximation which you can confirm by checking out the steam tables.

Chet

Likes MexChemE
Chestermiller said:
Are you saying "then" or "than?"

Then, meaning to just use dU and not transform it into dH.

MexChemE said:
Then, meaning to just use dU and not transform it into dH.
Yes. I would stick with dU. But, if the internal energy per unit mass varies with spatial position within the system, this has to be taken into account.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
But, if the internal energy per unit mass varies with spatial position within the system, this has to be taken into account.

How can internal energy be a function of spatial position? Can this be determined with a microscopic energy balance on a differential volume within the system?

MexChemE said:
How can internal energy be a function of spatial position? Can this be determined with a microscopic energy balance on a differential volume within the system?
Sure. That's where the Navier Stokes equations and the microscopic energy balance come in. (Just hope that the flow is laminar, or you are going to need some CFD software - you may need some anyway - with turbulent flow approximation capability).

Chet

Likes MexChemE
Great. Which chapters of BSL do you recommend me reading in order to learn more about this on my own?

MexChemE said:
Great. Which chapters of BSL do you recommend me reading in order to learn more about this on my own?
Chapter 11 is a gem. It starts in section 11.1 with what they call The Energy Equation (what I call the Overall Energy Balance Equation). Then, in the very beginning of section 11.2, they do something amazingly clever: they subtract the Mechanical Energy Balance Equation (from chapter 3) from the Overall Energy Balance Equation to obtain what they call The Equation of Change for Internal Energy (what I call the Thermodynamic (or Thermal) Energy Balance Equation). Notice the close resemblance between this equation and the First Law of Thermodynamics. The remainder of the second paragraph of section 11.2 is extremely interesting also.

So there are three key equations:

1. The Overall Energy Balance Equation
2. The Mechanical Energy Balance Equation
3. The Thermal/Thermodynamic Energy Balance Equation

It is worthwhile going over the first few pages of Chapter 11 several times. The rest of the chapter deals with how to apply these equations to specific cases.

Chet

Likes MexChemE
Thanks, Chet! I will be reading BSL during the summer in order to prepare for my incoming Transport Phenomena course. Your summary of chapter 11 actually made me more eager to start reading the book and learn on my own.

Chestermiller said:
3. The Thermal/Thermodynamic Energy Balance Equation

This is what some people call a heat balance, right? And, if I'm not mistaken, Fourier's heat equation can be derived from the heat balance by expressing internal energy in terms of T and applying Fourier's Law to the heat conduction terms.

MexChemE said:
Thanks, Chet! I will be reading BSL during the summer in order to prepare for my incoming Transport Phenomena course. Your summary of chapter 11 actually made me more eager to start reading the book and learn on my own.
Great! You're the man!
This is what some people call a heat balance, right?
I don't know.
And, if I'm not mistaken, Fourier's heat equation can be derived from the heat balance by expressing internal energy in terms of T and applying Fourier's Law to the heat conduction terms.
Yes. BSL have all this worked out for you.

But please note that BSL uses an unconventional sign convention for the stress tensor. They treat compressive stresses as positive and tensile stresses as negative. This is the opposite from most books on solid and fluid mechanics.

Chet

Likes MexChemE
I have just finished reading sections 11.1 and 11.2 and I have a question. I understand how the authors went from Eq. 11.2-1 to Eq. 11.2-2, as I already knew the definition of the material derivative. However, I'm having trouble understanding how they arrive at Eq. 11.2-3. Specifically, the change from U to H. This is how I thought the transformation of U into H was done as I thought D/Dt is a linear operator
[tex]\rho \frac{D \hat{U}}{Dt} = \rho \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} - \frac{Dp}{Dt}[/tex]
However, according to my interpretation, the authors seem to have done it as
[tex]\rho \frac{D \hat{U}}{Dt} = \rho \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} - \frac{\partial p}{\partial t}[/tex]
And then combined the partial derivative of p wrt t with the [itex]-p(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v})[/itex] term to get the material derivative of p, however the signs don't seem to match. I may be missing a small detail in order to understand the procedure, or I may be misinterpreting the math involved (as this is my first time working with the notation used in the book; my multivariable/vector calculus class was very trivial).

MexChemE said:
I have just finished reading sections 11.1 and 11.2 and I have a question. I understand how the authors went from Eq. 11.2-1 to Eq. 11.2-2, as I already knew the definition of the material derivative. However, I'm having trouble understanding how they arrive at Eq. 11.2-3. Specifically, the change from U to H. This is how I thought the transformation of U into H was done as I thought D/Dt is a linear operator
[tex]\rho \frac{D \hat{U}}{Dt} = \rho \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} - \frac{Dp}{Dt}[/tex]
This equation is not correct. We should have:
[tex]\frac{D \hat{U}}{Dt} = \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} - \frac{D(\frac{p}{\rho})}{Dt}[/tex]
The second term on the right needs to be differentiated using the quotient rule. You will get two terms out of it. See if this helps.

Chet

Got it. I thought I could take ρ out of the derivative as in [itex]\rho \frac{D \hat{U}}{Dt}[/itex]. Now with your hint I was able to do the correct derivation
[tex]\rho \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} + \frac{p}{\rho} \frac{D \rho}{Dt} - \frac{Dp}{Dt} = -(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{q}) -p(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v}) - (\boldsymbol{\tau} : \nabla \mathbf{v})[/tex]
Rearranging
[tex]\rho \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} = -(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{q}) - (\boldsymbol{\tau} : \nabla \mathbf{v}) -p \left(\frac{D \rho}{Dt} + \rho (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v}) \right) + \frac{Dp}{Dt}[/tex]
But
[tex]\frac{D \rho}{Dt} + \rho (\nabla \cdot \mathbf{v}) = 0[/tex]
So finally, one arrives at Eq. 11.2-3
[tex]\rho \frac{D \hat{H}}{Dt} = -(\nabla \cdot \mathbf{q}) - (\boldsymbol{\tau} : \nabla \mathbf{v}) + \frac{Dp}{Dt}[/tex]

Likes Chestermiller

1. What is a transient state energy balance?

A transient state energy balance is a method for calculating the energy transfer in a system that is experiencing a change in volume or temperature over time. It takes into account the energy inputs and outputs, as well as any changes in internal energy, to determine the overall energy balance of the system.

2. How is a transient state energy balance different from a steady state energy balance?

A steady state energy balance is used to calculate the energy transfer in a system that is in a constant state of equilibrium. It assumes that the energy inputs and outputs are equal, resulting in a net energy transfer of zero. In contrast, a transient state energy balance considers the changing conditions of the system over time, taking into account the dynamic nature of energy transfer.

3. What is a variable volume system?

A variable volume system is a system in which the volume of the system can change. This can occur through changes in temperature, pressure, or any other factor that affects the volume of the system. Examples of variable volume systems include gas-filled balloons and piston-cylinder devices.

4. How is the energy balance of a variable volume system affected by changes in volume?

In a variable volume system, changes in volume can affect the energy balance through changes in internal energy and work. As the volume increases, the internal energy of the system also increases, resulting in a positive energy input. Additionally, if work is done on or by the system, it will also affect the energy balance, as work is a form of energy transfer.

5. What are some real-world applications of transient state energy balance in variable volume systems?

Transient state energy balance in variable volume systems is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of engines, refrigeration systems, and heating and cooling systems. It is also important in understanding the behavior of gases in industrial processes, such as in chemical reactions and gas storage. Additionally, it is used in the study of weather and atmospheric processes, where changes in volume and energy transfer play a crucial role in understanding climate patterns and phenomena.