Transit depth and the size of a planet....

In summary: I see. So you would then have:$$\sqrt{TD}= \frac{R_p}{R_s}$$correct?Yes. But you can leave it in symbolic form while you are carrying out the algebra. Thus: ##\sqrt{TD}##.
ezach1

Homework Statement

Astronomers discover a new transiting planet named Jakku. The parent star, Abrams, is known to have a radius equal to ½ that of the Sun’s. a) The transit depth of Jakku is 757 parts per million (757 x 10-6). How large is the planet? Convert your answer into units of Earth radii. b) The blackbody temperature of Jakku is 290K. The scientists who discovered it make a press release claiming this planet is definitely habitable. What criticism might you have of this statement? [/B]

Homework Equations

transit depth = (Rp/R*)2sq

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
since I already have the transit depth 757 x 10-6 =(Rp/216237)2sq
I know I have to solve for Rp...but this is where I need help

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you determine the radius of the star? What value did you use for the radius of the Sun?

After you've dealt with that it looks like it's just a matter of a bit of algebra to isolate Rp.

i halved the radius of the sun and that gave me the radius of adam

ezach1 said:
i halved the radius of the sun and that gave me the radius of adam
Yes, but what value did you use for the radius of the Sun?

Edit: Okay, I think what you've done is used miles for the units of length. You should have stated what unit system you were using.

not quite sure what you mean,, but thanks for your patience...would that be 1/2*?

I did a bit of checking of your value for the star radius and determined that you used a Sun radius in units of miles. What was confusing me is that i didn't recognize your star radius value compared to what I calculated myself (I used kilometers for the units).

So you're left with isolating Rp from your expression:

$$TD= \left( \frac{R_p}{R_s} \right)^2$$

correct?

Hmmm but I thought we already have transit depth?

ezach1 said:
Hmmm but I thought we already have transit depth?
Yes. You have both transit depth (TD) and the radius of the star (Rs).

Oh ok. This is where I get lost. How to find Rp

So take a stab at the algebra. What are your first thoughts? What is worrying you?

What's worrying me is that I don't know algebra... I've hired a tutor but I'm trying to this without him.
Thanks for your time and patience

ezach1 said:
What's worrying me is that I don't know algebra... I've hired a tutor but I'm trying to this without him.
Thanks for your time and patience
You haven't done any manipulation of mathematical expressions? If I may enquire, from what class or course does this question come?

An introductory astronomy course which is more like a physics course

ezach1 said:
An introductory astronomy course which is more like a physics course
Okay, well I think you'll want to find some time to brush up on your basic algebra. You said that you've hired a tutor, so no doubt he can help you there.

In the meantime, for your problem at hand, what happens if you take the square root of both sized of the equation? How will it look then?

I don't know what the square root of TD would look likeOh, would it just be what ever the square root of the transit depth is? 757x10^-6??!

ezach1 said:
I don't know what the square root of TD would look likeOh, would it just be what ever the square root of the transit depth is? 757x10^-6??!
Yes. But you can leave it in symbolic form while you are carrying out the algebra. Thus: ##\sqrt{TD}##.

When you start plugging in numbers early on it's a lot more work to carry them through the manipulations without introducing transcription errors along the way. And it's easier to "debug" symbols rather than digits, because unlike digits, symbols tell you what they're supposed to represent at any given time :smile:

Why do we square the transit depth?

ezach1 said:
Why do we square the transit depth?
Square root. You want to get rid of the square on the right hand side, so you take the square root of both sides. Whatever you do to one side of an equation you must do to the other. Otherwise it would no longer be an equation (implying equality).

1. What is transit depth and how is it related to the size of a planet?

Transit depth refers to the amount of light blocked by a planet as it passes in front of its host star. The size of a planet is directly related to its transit depth, as larger planets will block more light than smaller ones.

2. How is transit depth measured and what units are used?

Transit depth is typically measured in units of parts per million (ppm), which refers to the percentage of light blocked by the planet. This is calculated by comparing the brightness of the star during the transit to its normal brightness when the planet is not in front of it.

3. Can transit depth be used to determine the composition of a planet?

Yes, transit depth can be used in conjunction with other measurements, such as the planet's mass and density, to determine its composition. For example, a planet with a high transit depth and low density is likely to be a gas giant, while a planet with a low transit depth and high density is more likely to be a rocky planet.

4. How does the distance between a planet and its star affect transit depth?

The distance between a planet and its star has a direct impact on the transit depth. A planet that is closer to its star will have a larger transit depth, as it will block more light. Conversely, a planet that is further away from its star will have a smaller transit depth.

5. Are there any limitations to using transit depth to determine a planet's size?

While transit depth is a useful tool for determining the size of a planet, it does have some limitations. For example, if a planet has a highly inclined orbit, it may not pass directly in front of its star and therefore the transit depth will not accurately reflect its size. Additionally, other factors such as stellar activity and the presence of additional planets in the system can affect the measured transit depth.