Translating statements (discrete math)

In summary: Yet you want something that is true if and only if the sentence is satisfied by all kinds of excuses.
Joseph1739

Homework Statement

Let:
P(x) = "x is a clear explanation"
Q(x) = "x is satisfactory"
R(x) = "x is an excuse"
x be the domain of all English texts

Translate:
1. Some excuses are unsatisfactory
2. All clear explanations are satisfactory

Homework Equations

∃ for "some"

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) ∃x(R(x) → ~Q(x))

I don't understand why this is not the correct translation.
The answer is ∃x(R(x) ∨ ~Q(x)), and I understand that the truth tables for these two are not equivalent, but when I read my answer, it makes sense: "There exists an x such that if x is an excuse, then x is unsatisfactory."I tried reasoning that there is no "If..then" which is why AND was used instead, but for problem (2), the answer is ∀x(P(x)→Q(x)) even when the statement doesn't contain at "If...then".

Physics news on Phys.org
The book answer you have quoted is definitely wrong. It is true as long as there is one or more excuse, even if all excuses are satisfactory. So it doesn't match the statement.

I would translate the phrase as ##\exists x(R(x)\wedge\neg Q(x))##, which is different from both. However it would be the same as the book answer if they accidentally typeset an OR (##\vee##) instead of an AND (##\wedge##).

Your translation doesn't work because it is true as long as there is some x that is not an excuse, even if all x that are excuses are satisfactory. For instance if a = 'I like chocolate' then ##R(a)\to\neg Q(a)## is vacuously true because the antecedent (the item before the arrow) is false. 'I like chocolate' is not an excuse.

1. What is the purpose of translating statements in discrete math?

The purpose of translating statements in discrete math is to represent mathematical ideas and concepts in a formal, symbolic language. This allows for precise and unambiguous communication of mathematical ideas and facilitates problem solving and logical reasoning.

2. What are the main methods used for translating statements in discrete math?

The main methods used for translating statements in discrete math include propositional logic, predicate logic, and set theory. These methods involve representing statements and relationships between objects and concepts using symbols and logical operators.

3. How do you know if a translation of a statement in discrete math is correct?

A translation of a statement in discrete math is considered correct if it accurately represents the original statement and preserves its logical structure. This can be checked by applying rules and laws of logic, as well as by using truth tables or logical equivalences.

4. Can translating statements in discrete math be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, translating statements in discrete math can be applied to real-world problems. Many real-world problems can be represented and solved using discrete math concepts such as propositional logic, set theory, and combinatorics. These tools can help in making decisions and solving problems in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when translating statements in discrete math?

Some common mistakes to avoid when translating statements in discrete math include incorrect use of logical operators, misinterpreting the meaning of symbols, and not following the proper rules of logic. It is important to carefully consider the meaning and structure of the original statement and to use precise and consistent notation when translating it.