What Causes the Moment About Point A in an Inclined Bar Translation?

In summary, the problem involves a homogenous slender bar being pushed along a smooth horizontal surface with a force P=60N. The angle θ and acceleration are calculated to be 33.4° and 15m/s2, respectively. The moment about point A is found to be 8.26Nm, which represents the torque acting on the bar due to the applied force and is balanced by the normal reaction force from the surface. This moment is important to consider in designing structures involving inclined bars to ensure they can withstand the force and maintain pure translation.
mkkeyan

Homework Statement

I have a question on pure translation of inclined bar. The problem statement is:
A homogenous slender bar with a mass of 4 kg and a length of 500mm being pushed along the smooth horizontal surface by a horizontal force P=60N. Determine the angle θ for translation. What is the accompanying acceleration? (FBD and kinetic diagram attached)

Homework Equations

I used the following equations:
⅀Fx=max
⅀Fy=0
⅀MG=0 (since rod is in translation)

The Attempt at a Solution

The results i arrived at are:
θ = 33.4°
a = 15m/s2

My question is, there exists a moment about point A (point of contact between bar and contact surface) equal to 8.26Nm. What is the physical meaning/significance of this moment? Would not the rod rotate about A due to this moment? Requesting for help please.
If my question has already been discussed earlier, request some of you to give link to those threads.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 374
  • kinetic diagram.jpg
    kinetic diagram.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The moment you have calculated is the torque acting on the bar due to the applied force P. This moment is causing the bar to rotate about point A, but since the bar is in pure translation, this rotation is prevented by the contact surface. The bar is constrained to move only in a straight line, and the moment about point A is balanced by the normal reaction force from the surface acting at point A.

In terms of physical significance, this moment is an important factor to consider when designing structures or machines involving inclined bars. If the moment becomes too large, it could cause the bar to rotate and potentially fail. It is important to make sure that the bar is strong enough to withstand the moment and maintain pure translation.

I hope this helps clarify the significance of the moment in this problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to What Causes the Moment About Point A in an Inclined Bar Translation?

1. What is the definition of "translation of inclined bar"?

The translation of inclined bar refers to the linear movement or displacement of a bar that is positioned at an angle from the horizontal plane.

2. What causes the translation of an inclined bar?

The translation of an inclined bar is caused by an external force acting on the bar at an angle to the horizontal plane. This force creates a component of motion parallel to the inclined surface of the bar, resulting in its translation.

3. How is the translation of an inclined bar calculated?

The translation of an inclined bar can be calculated using the trigonometric equations for resolving forces. This involves breaking down the external force into its horizontal and vertical components, and then using the cosine and sine functions to determine the magnitude and direction of the translation.

4. What factors can affect the translation of an inclined bar?

The translation of an inclined bar can be affected by the magnitude and direction of the external force, as well as the angle of inclination of the bar. Other factors such as the material properties of the bar and any frictional forces present can also impact the translation.

5. How is the translation of an inclined bar different from that of a horizontal bar?

The translation of an inclined bar differs from that of a horizontal bar in that it involves both horizontal and vertical components of motion, while a horizontal bar only has a horizontal component. Additionally, the magnitude and direction of the translation for an inclined bar will vary depending on the angle of inclination and external force, whereas a horizontal bar will always have the same translation if the external force remains constant.