Transport Phenomenon: Drag Coefficient & Friction Factor

In summary, the statements mean that books on transport processes often equate pressure and stress to momentum transfer and use a dimensionless momentum flux to express the relationship between drag force and dynamic pressure in flow past an object. In the case of flow through tubes, the relationship between shear stress and dynamic pressure is expressed using the Fanning friction factor as a dimensionless momentum flux. The difference between the two is that one is used for flow past an object and the other is used for flow through tubes. The concept of fields in transport phenomenon implies that velocity, momentum, and temperature are continuously varying functions of position. It is recommended to start a new thread when asking a new question.
Rahulx084
My book states that when a flow around object is considered,

Non dimensional momentum flux is defined as the drag coefficient

In case of flow through tubes it states

The non dimensional momentum flux is defined as the friction factor

What do these statements mean? What do they practically define?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Many books on transport processes, in order to emphasize the analogy between heat transfer, mass transfer, and momentum transfer, typically regard pressure and stress mechanistically as being equivalent to momentum transfer. (There is certainly valid molecular basis for treating pressure and stress in this way).

For flow past an object, the relationship between the drag force F and the dynamic pressure ##\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2## is expressed as $$\frac{F}{A}=C_D\left(\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2\right)$$where A is the projected area of the object. Since dynamic pressure has units of momentum flux (and, mechanistically, can be regarded as a momentum flux), and since F/A also has units of momentum flux, ##C_D## is thereby sometimes regarded as a dimensionless momentum flux. I personally don't like this interpretation, and it does nothing for me.

In the case of fluid flow in a tube, the relationship between the shear stress at the wall ##\tau## and the dynamic pressure ##\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2## is expressed as $$\tau=f\left(\frac{1}{2}\rho v^2\right)$$where f is the Fanning friction factor. Since dynamic pressure has units of momentum flux (and, mechanistically, can be regarded as a momentum flux), and since the wall shear stress ##\tau## also is interpreted as momentum flux, f is thereby sometimes regarded as a dimensionless momentum flux. I personally don't like this interpretation, and it too does nothing for me.

Likes Rahulx084
Sir , when do we use momentum flux and when do we use dimension less momentum flux?? In a problem if we are required to find momentum flux, which one of both is needed to find? And what will be going to be the difference in both lf them?

Rahulx084 said:
Sir , when do we use momentum flux and when do we use dimension less momentum flux?? In a problem if we are required to find momentum flux, which one of both is needed to find? And what will be going to be the difference in both lf them?
Don't worry about that now. You'll get the idea once they teach you how to approach problems. Your time is too valuable to worry about this for now.

My teacher,she doesn't give a dang about what she teaches . Our university have appointed her just because of her approaches to dean . Thats why I was asking you sir .

Rahulx084 said:
My teacher,she doesn't give a **** about what she teaches . Our university have appointed her just because of her approaches to dean . Thats why I was asking you sir .
Sorry to hear that. You can count on us at Physics Forums to help you in any way we can.

I was reading about fields in transport phenomenon and it states that fields are defined as continuously varying functions of position . What does this statement implies to the velocity,momentum and temperature fields?

Rahulx084 said:
I was reading about fields in transport phenomenon and it states that fields are defined as continuously varying functions of position . What does this statement implies to the velocity,momentum and temperature fields?
When you begin a new topic, please start a new thread.

Chestermiller said:
When you begin a new topic, please start a new thread.
Actually the question is from the same topic the thread I started few days ago , so I thought maybe its okay to ask here

Rahulx084 said:
Actually the question is from the same topic the thread I started few days ago , so I thought maybe its okay to ask here
In my judgment as a Physics Forums moderator, it's not, so please start a new thread.

1. What is the drag coefficient and how is it measured?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance a fluid exerts on an object moving through it. It is measured experimentally by calculating the ratio of the drag force on an object to the product of the fluid density, the cross-sectional area of the object, and the square of its velocity.

2. How does the drag coefficient affect the motion of an object?

The drag coefficient has a significant impact on the motion of an object as it determines the amount of resistance the fluid exerts on the object. A higher drag coefficient means there is more resistance, resulting in a slower velocity and shorter distance traveled by the object.

3. What factors affect the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is influenced by several factors, including the shape and size of the object, the speed of the object, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through, such as density and viscosity. Additionally, surface roughness and the presence of any obstacles in the fluid flow can also affect the drag coefficient.

4. How is the friction factor related to the drag coefficient?

The friction factor is a dimensionless quantity used to describe the effect of surface roughness on the flow of a fluid. It is related to the drag coefficient as it affects the amount of friction and resistance experienced by an object moving through a fluid. A higher friction factor means there is more resistance and a higher drag coefficient.

5. Can the drag coefficient and friction factor be predicted or must they always be measured experimentally?

There are various equations and models available to predict the drag coefficient and friction factor for different objects and fluid flows. However, these predictions may not always be accurate and therefore, it is usually necessary to measure them experimentally to obtain more precise values.