Transverse sinusoidal wave is travelling along a string

In summary, the slope at any point of a string with a traveling transverse sinusoidal wave is equal to the ratio of the particle speed to wave speed at that point, which can be found by differentiating the equation y = Asin(kx - ωt) with respect to time and substituting cos(kx - ωt) = 1. The slope can be calculated by converting dy/dx to dy/dt.
SAGHTD

Homework Statement

Prove that if a transverse sinusoidal wave is traveling along a string, then the slope at any point of the string is equal to the ratio of the particle speed to wave speed at that point.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what i did isn't the equation for transverse = y=Asin(kx-wt)
So i differentiate it with respect to "t" therefore getting dy/dt = -wAcos(kx - wt)

cos(kx - wt) = 1

therefore dy/dt = -wA and w = 2pi(F)
So wouldn't it be equal to 2pi(F)A <------------------ just want to make sure but this is for the particle speed??

If so how am i to that the ratio of the particle speed to wave speed at that point is equal?

Physics news on Phys.org
HI SAGHTD! :smile:

(have an omega: ω and a pi: π :wink:)
SAGHTD said:
Prove that if a transverse sinusoidal wave is traveling along a string, then the slope at any point of the string is equal to the ratio of the particle speed to wave speed at that point.

This is what i did isn't the equation for transverse = y=Asin(kx-wt)
So i differentiate it with respect to "t" therefore getting dy/dt = -wAcos(kx - wt)

cos(kx - wt) = 1

That's right … the particle speed at fixed position x is dy/dt.

But why are you putting cos(kx - ωt) = 1 ? :confused:

And where is your equation for the slope?

Oh...i remembered that before how our lecturer was telling us to sub cos(kx – ωt) as 1 to acquire Umax. Didn't really understand that much of it tho... :frown:
Equation for the slope is what i don’t really get . Didn’t the question say that they wanted the ratio of the particle speed to wave speed at that point? Now what little i understand the equation for wave speed would be v = λf so how am i to really give a ratio between these two equations?

Hi SAGHTD! :smile:
SAGHTD said:
Oh...i remembered that before how our lecturer was telling us to sub cos(kx – ωt) as 1 to acquire Umax.

He only meant that if you have y = Asin(kx – ωt) or dy/dt = Aωcos(kx – ωt), then the maximum values of y and dy/dt are by putting cos = 1, ie they're A and Aω. :wink:

(but this question doesn't ask you for that)
Equation for the slope is what i don’t really get .

Slope is distance/distance, so it here it must mean dy/dx …

they're asking for a formula to convert dy/dx to dy/dt. :smile:

OMG Thanks i got it out! I understand :D

Related to Transverse sinusoidal wave is travelling along a string

1. What is a transverse sinusoidal wave?

A transverse sinusoidal wave is a type of wave that travels perpendicular to the direction of the wave's motion. This means that the particles of the medium (in this case, a string) are oscillating up and down while the wave itself is moving horizontally.

2. How does a transverse sinusoidal wave travel along a string?

A transverse sinusoidal wave travels along a string due to the tension in the string. The particles of the string are pulled back to their equilibrium position after being displaced by the wave, causing the wave to propagate along the string.

3. What is the equation for a transverse sinusoidal wave?

The equation for a transverse sinusoidal wave is y(x,t) = A*sin(kx - ωt), where y is the displacement of the particle at a certain position (x) and time (t), A is the amplitude of the wave, k is the wave number, and ω is the angular frequency.

4. How does the amplitude affect a transverse sinusoidal wave?

The amplitude of a transverse sinusoidal wave determines the maximum displacement of the particles in the string. A larger amplitude means that the particles are displaced further from their equilibrium position, resulting in a higher wave height.

5. What factors affect the speed of a transverse sinusoidal wave?

The speed of a transverse sinusoidal wave is affected by the tension in the string and the mass per unit length of the string. A higher tension and lower mass per unit length will result in a faster wave speed, while a lower tension and higher mass per unit length will result in a slower wave speed.