Traveling to space aging more slowly is true?

In summary,Hai pf,yesterday i asked a question to my friend that"I had heared that people who were traveling to space may have a slight age difference is it true? assume if i and my friend are of age 30. i got a chance to travel to space. and i was returning to Earth after 5 years. then my friend who lived at Earth has an age of 35 and i have an age of moreorless 32. is those lines were true?who replied me the below mentioned answerin your case. You travel from earth, you get older 2 year and your friend 5 year.Let's say γ=52=2.5How
praveena
Hai pf,
yesterday i asked a question to my friend that
"I had heared that people who were traveling to space may have a slight age difference is it true? assume if i and my friend are of age 30. i got a chance to travel to space. and i was returning to Earth after 5 years. then my friend who lived at Earth has an age of 35 and i have an age of moreorless 32. is those lines were true?
who replied me the below mentioned answer
in your case. You travel from earth, you get older 2 year and your friend 5 year.
Let's say γ=52=2.5
How fast should you go?
What is V, so that √(11−v2)=2.5?
2.5∗√(1−v2)=1
√(1−v2)=0.4
1−v2=0.16
v2=1−0.16=0.84
v=√(0.84)
You have to travel at about 2,750,000 km per second.
here my question is does the traveling speed or velocity affects agening?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
praveena said:
speed IS velocity for this case. What causes differential aging is that you have taken different paths through spacetime. Your clock ticked at one second per second and his clock ticked at one second per second but they took different paths through space-time and so ticked a different number of times.

This is the "twin paradox" and you can find hundreds of discussions on the internet.

Likes Dr.Physics and praveena
praveena said:
Hai pf,
"I had heared that people who were traveling to space may have a slight age difference is it true? assume if i and my friend are of age 30. i got a chance to travel to space. and i was returning to Earth after 5 years. then my friend who lived at Earth has an age of 35 and i have an age of moreorless 32. is those lines were true?
in your case. You travel from earth, you get older 2 year and your friend 5 year.
Let's say γ=52=2.5
How fast should you go?
2.5∗√(1−v2)=1
√(1−v2)=0.4
1−v2=0.16
v2=1−0.16=0.84
v=√(0.84)
The short answer is "Yes."

Special Relativity predicts clocks moving at faster relative speeds compared to a clock at rest will tick slower. Therefore, the faster you are moving relative to someone at rest, the slower you will age when compared to the person at rest. However, General Relativity also predicts that a clock closer to an extremely massive object will tick slower than a clock much further away from any gravitational influence.

In the real world this can be demonstrated in our GPS system. The GPS satellites are orbiting Earth at 4 km/s, causing their on-board clocks to tick 7 μs/day slower than the clocks on Earth due to Special Relativity. However, as a result of General Relativity, the clocks on Earth will tick 45.9 μs/day slower than the clocks on the GPS satellites. Which results in a time difference of 38.9 μs/day. The discrepancy may not seem like much of a difference, but if not compensated for over the span of a day it amounts to ~10 km.

praveena said:
Your numbers are off. You cannot travel as fast as, or faster than, 299,000 km per second under any circumstances.

Yes bro, this is called relativity and gravity affects your perception of time, maybe you should read about the airplane experiment and its nuclear clocks, its very interesting

Armando Valle said:
Yes bro, this is called relativity and gravity affects your perception of time, maybe you should read about the airplane experiment and its nuclear clocks, its very interesting
You misunderstand. It does NOT change your perception of time. To repeat what has already been said, your clock ticks at one second per second.

phinds said:
You misunderstand. It does NOT change your perception of time. To repeat what has already been said, your clock ticks at one second per second.
It can change your perception of time just like traveling at the speed of light, because nothing can be faster than that your particles have to slow down, you are contradicting yourself

Armando Valle said:
It can change your perception of time just like traveling at the speed of light, because nothing can be faster than that your particles have to slow down, you are contradicting yourself
Again, you misunderstand. You cannot travel at the speed of light. If you travel just under the speed of light relative to me, your clock ticks at one second per second and so does mine. You see mine ticking much slower and I see yours ticking much slower, but neither of us has our perception of time changed.

Relativistic does not change your perception of time, it affects your observations of other frames of reference.

DaveC426913 said:
Relativistic does not change your perception of time, it affects your observations of other frames of reference.
Isn't that what I just said?

phinds said:
Isn't that what I just said?
Yes. I didn't feel that a simple' +1' or 'DaveC426913 liked this post' was sufficient to convince the OP of the wisdom of your words. :wink:

praveena said:
Hai pf,
Let's say γ=52=2.5
How fast should you go?
2.5∗√(1−v2)=1
√(1−v2)=0.4
1−v2=0.16
v2=1−0.16=0.84
v=√(0.84)

You'll probably find this web page of interest-

The relativistic Rocket
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/rocket.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes praveena

What is the theory behind traveling to space aging more slowly?

The theory behind this phenomenon is called time dilation, which was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity. According to this theory, time moves slower for objects that are moving at high speeds.

How does time dilation affect astronauts in space?

Due to the high speeds at which they travel, astronauts experience a slower passage of time compared to those on Earth. This means that they age at a slower rate, making them technically younger than their counterparts on Earth when they return from their space missions.

Is there any evidence to support the theory of time dilation in space?

Yes, there is strong evidence to support the theory of time dilation. Experiments have been conducted using atomic clocks, which have shown that clocks on satellites in orbit tick at a slightly slower rate than those on Earth. This is due to the effects of gravity and speed on time.

Is it possible for time dilation to have negative effects on astronauts?

No, time dilation does not have any negative effects on astronauts. In fact, it is a necessary factor to consider for space travel and has been taken into account for the safety and success of space missions.

Can time dilation be observed on a smaller scale, such as during air travel?

Yes, time dilation can be observed on a smaller scale during air travel. Due to the high speeds at which airplanes travel, time moves slightly slower for passengers on the plane compared to those on the ground. However, the effects are so small that they are not noticeable in everyday life.