Triangles inside a circle to represent raypaths inside an ideal Earth

In summary, the conversation was about trying to determine the angles of incidence and refraction, as well as the velocity of the P wave through the Earth's core. The person had managed to obtain some required distances and angles, but was struggling to calculate the refracted angle. They had also posted their question on a forum for further assistance.
Remixex
Homework Statement
Hello everyone, I am having some problems with what the professor calls basic geometry....

Imagine we have our planet Earth divided into two homogeneous segments. Mantle and core. a ray takes off with an angle ##\beta## and travels straight through the mantle a linear distance ##a## which can also be expressed as a surface distance of 110 degrees (to go from degrees to arc distance just multiply by 111.2).

A second ray takes off with angle ##\alpha##, smaller than ##\beta## and enters the core with an incident angle ##\theta_1## and refracts with an outgoing angle ##\theta_2##. Travels through the core, refracts again through the mantle and reaches the surface, creating what's known as a "shadow zone" (P wave shadow zone is between 110 and 140 degrees, but ##\alpha## doesn't necessarily reach exactly at 140 degrees, it's arbitrary)

What are the angles of incidence and refraction? (This will yield the velocity at the core)
Relevant Equations
Law of sines, cosines and Snell's law
I have managed to get some of the required distances and angles. I have the distance ##a##, the velocity inside the mantle, the total radius of the Earth ##R_t## as well as mantle and core radii. I have also figured out the angle of incidence, however I cannot get the refracted angle with the available information. I have drawn and created a couple of more distances and angles I have been able to figure out, such as ##\epsilon## which contains the refracted angle, ##\epsilon=\delta+\theta_1## however I do not know how to get ##\delta##...
Any help or direction would be appreciated. I have reached several times at solutions that turn out to be wrong, and I have started over several times. A high resolution version of the image can be found in imgur : (imgur.com)/a/Y0rvkg9
PKP_Problem.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the precise question you are trying to answer?

PeroK said:
What is the precise question you are trying to answer?
What are the angles of incidence and refraction essentially. What is ##\theta_2## ? In terms of known variables

Remixex said:
What are the angles of incidence and refraction essentially. What is ##\theta_2## ? In terms of known variables
That's not a precise question!

If you went up to a physicist or mathematician in the street and asked him or her that and only that, how could they answer?

Excuse me, sir or madam: "What are the angles of incidence and refraction essentially. What is ##\theta_2## ? In terms of known variables?"

I will rephrase then, what is the velocity of the P wave through the core?
I apologize for being imprecise.
PeroK said:
That's not a precise question!

If you went up to a physicist or mathematician in the street and asked him or her that and only that, how could they answer?

Excuse me, sir or madam: "What are the angles of incidence and refraction essentially. What is ##\theta_2## ? In terms of known variables?"

Remixex said:
I will rephrase then, what is the velocity of the P wave through the core?
According to Google it's about ##11.3 \ km/s##.

I will post this in a more precise way on the relevant forum thread
PeroK said:
According to Google it's about ##11.3 \ km/s##.

Thanks for your help

Remixex said:
I will post this in a more precise way on the relevant forum thread Thanks for your help
My guess is you're trying to determine the size of the shadow zone?

1. How do triangles inside a circle represent raypaths inside an ideal Earth?

The triangles inside a circle represent the paths of seismic waves as they travel through an ideal Earth. Each triangle represents a different type of wave, such as P-wave or S-wave, and the circle represents the Earth's surface.

2. What is the significance of using triangles and a circle to represent raypaths?

The use of triangles and a circle allows for a visual representation of the complex paths that seismic waves take as they travel through the Earth. It also helps to illustrate the different types of waves and how they interact with the Earth's layers.

3. How are the angles of the triangles determined?

The angles of the triangles are determined by the velocity of the seismic waves and the density of the Earth's layers. As the waves travel through the different layers, they are refracted and their paths are bent, resulting in the angles of the triangles.

4. Can this representation be used for a non-ideal Earth?

While this representation is specifically for an ideal Earth, it can still be used to understand the general behavior of seismic waves in a non-ideal Earth. However, the angles and paths may differ depending on the specific properties of the Earth's layers.

5. How does this representation help in studying the Earth's interior?

Studying the paths of seismic waves through the Earth's interior can provide valuable information about the composition and structure of the Earth's layers. This representation allows scientists to visualize and analyze these paths, helping to further our understanding of the Earth's interior.