Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem

In summary, adding the (m+1)th ball changes the joint probability mass function from (N_1 ... N_m) to (N_1 ... N_m+1), where N_1, ..., N_m+1 are the numbers of balls in urns U_1, ..., U_m+1 after the (m+1)th ball is added.
crbazevedo
Hi all,

I'm working towards my Msc dissertation and I've ran into a tricky problem which I've figured it out to be modeled as the following urn problem: there are m balls and m urns U_1, ..., U_m with capacities C(U_1) = m, C(U_2) = m-1, ..., C(U_m) = 1. Knowing that each urn U_i is only allowed to store balls iff urn U_(i-1) has at least 1 ball, what is the joint probability mass function of (N_1 ... N_m) if m balls are assigned to the urns at random, where N_i is the number of balls in urn U_i?

I've tried a few different approaches to solve this problem but none of them turned out to be successful. Specifically, I've worked out a few basic cases, but I couldn't find a general formula. Any hint, suggestion or advice will be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
May be possible (or at least to derive other properties of the distribution). But first, exactly what happens when the (m+1)th ball is added?

Hi @bpet, thanks for the reply.

Actually, the total capacity of all urns is simply the sum of their individual capacities, i.e., C(U_1, ..., U_m) = Sum_i=1^m C(U_i) = m + (m-1) + ... + 1 = m*(m + 1)/2. Thus, adding the (m+1)th ball would not be an issue. I'm generally interested in the specific case of m urns and m balls, though. The most tricky part is the constraint over adjacent urns, I believe. Suppose that only the first a > 1 urns turned out to be used in a random trial. Then, the input vector has the form (N_1 ... N_a N_(a+1) ... N_m), with N_1, ..., N_a > 0 and N_(a+1), ..., N_m = 0.

In the end of the day, this distribution would be useful for finding the probability that an arbitrary ball will belong to a given urn U_i.

I'm looking forward to hearing any suggestion you may have.
Thanks,
Carlos.

Last edited:
The m balls aren't placed one at a time then?

@bpet Yes, they are. So, what happens is that if one urn turns out to be full just after adding the j-th ball (j < m), that urn is simply removed and all the (j+1), ..., m-th balls need to be allocated to urns with available slots. But I'm not sure whether the order of placement will afect the general formula or not, since all orders are equally likely. It's indeed very interesting to analyze this model by considering the placement order.

Carlos

Last edited:
Ok. If the placement order of the particular ball is unknown then the probability that urn i contains it is E[N_i / m]. It might be possible to get a neat recurrence relation by conditioning N(m+1)_i on N(m)_i.

1. What is the Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem?

The Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem is a statistical problem that involves predicting the probability of drawing a specific color from a set of urns containing different colored balls. The difficulty in this problem lies in the fact that the probabilities of drawing each color from each urn are not known and must be estimated based on limited information.

2. How is the Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem solved?

The Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem is typically solved by using a variety of statistical methods, such as maximum likelihood estimation, Bayesian inference, and Monte Carlo simulation. These methods involve making assumptions about the underlying distribution of the urns and using data to estimate the most likely values for the unknown probabilities.

3. What are some real-life applications of the Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem?

The Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem has practical applications in various fields, such as genetics, marketing, and finance. For example, it can be used to predict the likelihood of certain genetic traits being passed down in a family, to estimate the success of a marketing campaign targeting different demographics, or to forecast the returns of a portfolio containing different types of investments.

4. What are some challenges associated with the Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem?

The Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem can be challenging due to the complex nature of the problem and the need for accurate assumptions and data. The problem also becomes more difficult as the number of urns and colors increases, making it harder to estimate the probabilities accurately.

5. How can the Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem be approached in a more efficient manner?

To approach the Tricky Multivariate Urn Model Problem more efficiently, it is important to carefully select the statistical methods and assumptions used, as well as to gather as much relevant data as possible. Additionally, using computer programs and algorithms can help to speed up the calculations and improve the accuracy of the estimates.