Finding velocity function from a model of force

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving finding the function of velocity against time for a particle moving with an initial velocity of v0 and experiencing a resistive force of -βv2. The solution involves rearranging the given equation and using techniques from separable equations. However, there is a mistake in the final velocity function due to forgetting how to do division. The mistake is pointed out and the correct velocity function is provided.
Falken_47

Homework Statement

Hi, I've got an assignment which involves finding the function of velocity against time, given the information that the particle is moving with intial velocity of v0 and that it experience a resistive force of -βv2

Homework Equations

From the problem I've derived model of: ma = -βv2

The Attempt at a Solution

re-arranging the model, I have equation of:

dv/dt = -β/m * v2

then, using techniques from seperable equation,

dv/v2 = -β/m * dt

-1/v = -β/m * t + C1

pluging in v(0) = v0

-1/v0 = -β/m * 0 + C1
Or
C1 = -1/v0

Now, plugging in C and rearraging the equation, I obtained

-1/v = -β/m * t - 1/v0

v = m/(β * t) + v0

So as you can see, I'm able to derived the velocity function, but the problem lies to the fact that if I try to plug in t=0 for the velocity, then the function will not work as division by zero is not allowed

Therefore, I'm thinking that something is wrong with my velocity function but up till now I can't still figure it out

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Your calculus is fine, you just forgot how to do division:[tex]\frac{1}{v(t)} = \frac{\beta}{m} t + \frac{1}{v_0}[/tex][tex]\Rightarrow v(t) = \left[ \frac{\beta}{m} t +\frac{1}{v_0} \right]^{-1} \neq \frac{m}{\beta t} + v_0 [/tex]

Ah yes thank you very much at pointing out my mistake, guess I spend too much time thinking how to actually solve the differential equation that I forgot about that. In any case, thank you for helping me again :)

Related to Finding velocity function from a model of force

1. What is a velocity function?

A velocity function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's velocity and time. It describes how the velocity of an object changes over time due to various forces acting upon it.

2. How is a velocity function related to a model of force?

A model of force is a representation of the forces acting upon an object. By using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration, we can derive a velocity function from the model of force. This allows us to understand how the object's velocity changes in response to the forces acting upon it.

3. What are the steps to finding a velocity function from a model of force?

The first step is to identify all the forces acting upon the object. Then, using Newton's Second Law, we can write an equation that relates force, mass, and acceleration. Next, we can use calculus to integrate this equation to find the velocity function. Finally, we can solve for any unknown constants or initial conditions to fully define the velocity function.

4. Can a velocity function change over time?

Yes, a velocity function can change over time. This is because the forces acting upon an object can change, causing the object's velocity to change accordingly. In other words, the velocity function is dependent on the forces acting upon the object, which can vary over time.

5. How can the velocity function be used in real-world applications?

The velocity function can be used to predict the motion of objects in real-world situations. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed and direction of a rocket during launch, or the trajectory of a projectile. It is also used in engineering and physics to design and analyze structures and systems that involve moving objects.