Trigonometric Identity for Solving Sin Cubed Equations

In summary, the OP attempted to solve an equation for x using the sum formula for sin(x), but got an additional term 3sinx. He then tried using the identity sin(3x) = 3sin(x) - 4sin^3(x), but this resulted in incorrect notation and an unsolvable equation.
Yashbhatt

Homework Statement

[tex]sin ^{3}x + sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x ) + sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x) = \frac{-3sin3x}{4}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[itex]sin 3x = 3sin 3x - 4sin^{3}x[/itex]
Mod note: The correct identity is ##sin(3x) = 3sin(x) - 4sin^3(x)##
The OP realized this earlier but was unable to edit his/her post.

The Attempt at a Solution

I kind of felt that as there is cube and 3x, I should use the formula for [itex]sin 3x[/itex]. I multiplied and divided by 4. Then substituted from the identity. I got [itex]-3sinx[/itex] part but also got an additional term [itex]3sinx[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yashbhatt said:

Homework Statement

[tex]sin ^{3}x + sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x ) + sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x) = \frac{-3sin3x}{4}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[itex]sin 3x = 3sin 3x - 4sin^{3}x[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I kind of felt that as there is cube and 3x, I should use the formula for [itex]sin 3x[/itex]. I multiplied and divided by 4. Then substituted from the identity. I got [itex]-3sinx[/itex] part but also got an additional term [itex]3sinx[/itex].
What is the question? Is this an identity that you need to prove or is it an equation that you need to solve for x?

If this is an identity, I would start working with the left side and use the sum formula to rewrite the terms on the left side.

It is an identity to be proved. I don't know any formula for the sum of cubes of sine. I used the formula I mentioned in my first post.

This is what I did.

[tex] sin ^{3}x + sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) + sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x)\\
= \frac{4}{4}[sin ^{3}x + sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) + sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x)] \\
= \frac{1}{4}[4sin ^{3}x + 4sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) + 4sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x)]\\
= \frac{1}{4}[(3sinx - sin3x) + (3sin(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) - sin 3(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x)) + (3sin(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x) - sin 3(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x))]
[/tex]
Simplifying, I got
[tex]

\frac{1}{4}[3sinx - sin3x -sin3x -sin3x]\\
= \frac{1}{4}[3sinx - 3sin3x]
[/tex]
But I don't know what to do further.

I believe you copied this identity incorrectly.
##sin 3x = 3sin 3x - 4sin^{3}x##
It should be ##sin(3x) = 3sin(x) - 4sin^3(x)##
The difference is in the first term on the right side.

Mark44 said:
I believe you copied this identity incorrectly.

It should be ##sin(3x) = 3sin(x) - 4sin^3(x)##
The difference is in the first term on the right side.

Yes. I realized that earlier, but I couldn't edit the post. In my solution, I have used the correct thing.

Yashbhatt said:
It is an identity to be proved. I don't know any formula for the sum of cubes of sine. I used the formula I mentioned in my first post.

This is what I did.

[tex] sin ^{3}x + sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) + sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x)\\
= \frac{4}{4}[sin ^{3}x + sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) + sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x)] \\
= \frac{1}{4}[4sin ^{3}x + 4sin ^{3}(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) + 4sin ^{3}(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x)]\\
= \frac{1}{4}[(3sinx - sin3x) + (3sin(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) - sin 3(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x)) + (3sin(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x) - sin 3(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x))]
[/tex]
You're OK to here.
Yashbhatt said:
Simplifying, I got
[tex]

\frac{1}{4}[3sinx - sin3x -sin3x -sin3x]\\
= \frac{1}{4}[3sinx - 3sin3x]
[/tex]
You have a mistake leading to the work above. All of the sin(x) terms drop out, leaving only the sin(3x) terms.
Yashbhatt said:
But I don't know what to do further.

Where is the mistake, I can't find it.

What did you do with the terms ##3\sin \left(\frac{2\pi}{3}+x\right)## and ##3\sin \left(\frac{4\pi}{3}+x\right)##?

Yashbhatt,
It's somewhere after this line
## = \frac{1}{4}[(3sinx - sin3x) + (3sin(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) - sin 3(\frac{2\pi}{3} + x)) + (3sin(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x) - sin 3(\frac{4\pi}{3} + x))]## and before where you say "Simplifying, I got..."
You don't show that work, so we can't pin down the exact location.

I disintegrated the angle part.
[tex] 3sin (\frac{2\pi}{3} + x) = 3sin (\pi - \frac{\pi}{3} + x)[/tex]
Sin pi - is in the second quadrant and hence positive.
Similarly,
[tex] 3sin (\frac{4\pi}{3} + x) = 3sin (\pi + \frac{\pi}{3} + x)[/tex]
This part is in the third quadrant and hence negative. So , I will get ##3sin (\frac{\pi}{3} + x) ## and ##-3sin (\frac{\pi}{3} + x) ## and they will cancel out.

Without knowing what the value of ##x## is, you can't tell which quadrant those angles are in.

I assumed it is in the range ##[0,2\pi]##.

I don't see why that matters. Take ##x=\pi## for instance. ##x+\frac{2\pi}{3}## would correspond to an angle in the fourth quadrant, not the second quadrant.

Try using the angle addition formula for sine to expand those terms out.

vela said:
I don't see why that matters. Take ##x=\pi## for instance. ##x+\frac{2\pi}{3}## would correspond to an angle in the fourth quadrant, not the second quadrant.

Try using the angle addition formula for sine to expand those terms out.

I feel this method is the easiest as it involves cubes and the 3x term.

I don't know what you mean since those terms don't involve cubing or multiplying the angle by 3.

I'll just point out that the reasoning you used to argue those terms cancel is faulty, which is why you're not getting the result you're asked to show. You should understand why your reasoning doesn't work because that may help you identify any misconceptions you hold, and you need to find a different approach to deal with those terms.

vela said:
I don't know what you mean since those terms don't involve cubing or multiplying the angle by 3.
I meant that the left hand side has cubes and the right hand side has ##sin 3x ##term. So, thought this identity would suit the best.

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

2. What is a trigonometry problem?

A trigonometry problem is a mathematical question that involves using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to solve for unknown sides or angles of a triangle.

3. How do you solve a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you must first identify the known and unknown values of the triangle. Then, you can use the appropriate trigonometric function and its inverse to solve for the unknown value.

4. What are the common trigonometric functions?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. Other important functions include secant, cosecant, and cotangent.

5. Why is trigonometry important?

Trigonometry has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can be used to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances, making it a valuable tool in many industries.