Trigonometric Methods - Calculating impedance in rectangular and polar forms

In summary: You should have learned that in high school algebra. If it's not familiar, check the index of your text.In summary, the equivalent impedance of a circuit can be calculated using the expression Z = (Z_1 Z_2)/(Z_1 + Z_2). When Z_1 = 4 + j10 and Z_2 = 12 - j3, the impedance Z can be calculated in both rectangular and polar forms. In polar form, Z = 7.7 ∠30.6°. To convert to rectangular form, use the formula a = rcos(θ) and b = rsin(θ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in polar form.
rikiki

Homework Statement

Given the equivalent impedance of a circuit can be calculated by the
expression

Z= (Z_1 Z_2)/(Z_1+ Z_2 )

If Z1 = 4 + j10 and Z2 = 12 – j3, calculate the impedance Z in
both rectangular and polar forms.

Homework Equations

j2=-1

The Attempt at a Solution

Z= ((4+j10)×(12-j3))/((4+j10)+(12-j3))

Z=(48+j12-j120-j^2 30 )/(16-j7)

Z= (48+j12-j120-(-1)30)/(16-j7)

Z= (48-j108+30)/(16-j7)

Z= (78-j108)/(16-j7)

I've got completely stuck I'm afraid. From searching about, it appears it would be easier to convert this straight into polar form. My notes are quite shocking on this, please see attached. I'm using microsoft mathematic software as my calculator, but having absolutely no joy figuring out how to do this. If anybody can offer some assistance, even in just how to get the answer in the attached I'm sure i can work the rest out. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 942
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for help with:
1. Interpreting your calculator's user instructions.
2. Converting from rectangular to polar form "by hand".
3. Reducing the Z in your last line to the form a + bj.

By the way, check the sign of the imaginary term in the denominator.

You have mistakes in calculation of both the numerator and the denominator.

Check your arithmetic.

ok thanks I've gone back to the drawing board and come up with this so far. got too engrossed in trying to find the quick way with a calculator. Hopefully this looks a bit more promising.

Z= (Z_1 Z_2)/(Z_1+ Z_2 )

r= √(a^2+ b^2 )
θ=arctan b/a

Z_1=4+j10
r = √(4^2+ 〖10〗^2 )
r=10.8
θ=arctan 10/4
θ=68.2°

Z_2=12-j3
r= √(〖12〗^2+ 3^2 )
r=12.4
θ=arctan (-3)/12
θ=-14.0°

Z= (Z_1 Z_2)/(Z_1+ Z_2 )

Z= (10.8 ∠68.2 ×12.4 ∠-14.0)/((4+j10)+(12-j3))

Z=(10.8 ×12.4 ∠ 68.2-14.0)/(16-j7)

Z= (133.92 ∠54.2)/(16-j7)

Z=((133.92 ∠54.2)/(17.5 ∠ 23.6))

Z=(133.92)/(17.5) ∠54.2-23.6

Z=7.7 ∠30.6°

just need to find the way to convert to rectangular form now.

Watch the signs when you add. In the denominator, j10 - j3 is not -j7. I see that you managed to "correct" the error when you found the angle for the denominator.

Don't you know how to convert from polar coords to rect. coords?

Related to Trigonometric Methods - Calculating impedance in rectangular and polar forms

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition that an electrical circuit presents to the flow of an alternating current (AC). It is represented by the symbol Z and is measured in ohms.

What is the difference between rectangular and polar forms of impedance?

In rectangular form, impedance is represented as a complex number with a real and imaginary component, while in polar form it is represented by a magnitude and phase angle.

How do you calculate impedance in rectangular form?

To calculate impedance in rectangular form, you can use the formula Z = R + jX, where R is the resistance and X is the reactance. Resistance is represented by the real part of the complex number and reactance is represented by the imaginary part.

How do you calculate impedance in polar form?

To calculate impedance in polar form, you can use the formula Z = |Z|∠θ, where |Z| is the magnitude of the impedance and θ is the phase angle. The magnitude can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and the phase angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions.

What are the applications of using trigonometric methods to calculate impedance?

Trigonometric methods are commonly used in electrical engineering to analyze AC circuits and determine the behavior of components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Calculating impedance in both rectangular and polar forms allows for easy conversion between the two and enables accurate analysis and design of circuits.