Trigonometry - How to solve this equation and find the solutions.

In summary: ren, in summary, a child can solve for sinx-cosx if they know the sine and cosine of an angle between 0 and 2pi.
mirandab17
Solve: sin^2x = (sinx)(cosx)
0 < x < 2pi

Find exact solutions.

Okay, so I got 0, pi/4, but just wasn't sure how to do this...

I know you bring the sinxcosx to the other side, making it

sin^2x - sinxcosx = 0

...and then I tried factoring out sinx leaving me with sinx(sinx - cosx). That's where I got lost. So sinx is 0 at 0 and pi on the unit circle, so two solutions are 0 and pi, but what on Earth do I do with sinx - cosx? That's when I started thinking about possible other identities that could help me out, but each left me with more craziness on my page!

Physics news on Phys.org
mirandab17 said:
Solve: sin^2x = (sinx)(cosx)
0 < x < 2pi

Find exact solutions.

Okay, so I got 0, pi/4, but just wasn't sure how to do this...

I know you bring the sinxcosx to the other side, making it

sin^2x - sinxcosx = 0

...and then I tried factoring out sinx leaving me with sinx(sinx - cosx). That's where I got lost. So sinx is 0 at 0 and pi on the unit circle, so two solutions are 0 and pi, but what on Earth do I do with sinx - cosx? That's when I started thinking about possible other identities that could help me out, but each left me with more craziness on my page!

[itex]\sin x(\sin x - \cos x) = 0[/itex]

If [itex]a*b=0[/itex] then either a = 0 OR b = 0 (or both can be zero).

You've covered the first part (equating [itex]\sin x[/itex] to zero) and found all the solutions).

For the second part, equate [itex]\sin x - \cos x = 0[/itex].

The easiest way to go from here is to divide throughout by [itex]\cos x[/itex] then rearrange the equation. But take care that by doing this, you're disallowing solutions that make [itex]\cos x = 0[/itex] (because then you'd be dividing by 0). So check that none of those satisfy the original equation.

EDIT: In this case, it's not strictly necessary to do this (the check I mentioned), but it's good practice when an equation is solved by cancelling out factors from both sides (rather than factorising the entire expression).

Last edited:
Another way to solve

  cos(x) - sin(x) = 0

is to multiply both sides by cos(x) + sin(x). Then recognize the identity for cos(2x). With this method you have to check for extraneous solutions.

(Next someone will suggest the exact way to solve this.)

SammyS said:
(Next someone will suggest the exact way to solve this.)

Well, OK, if you twist my arm. :biggrin:

[itex]\sin x - \cos x = 0 \Rightarrow \sqrt{2}\sin(x - \frac{\pi}{4}) = 0 \Rightarrow \sin(x - \frac{\pi}{4}) = 0[/itex]

The equation sinx-cosx =0 is equivalent with sinx=cosx. There are two angles between 0 and 2pi having equal sine and cosine.

ehild

Last edited:

Related to Trigonometry - How to solve this equation and find the solutions.

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and properties of triangles and the trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to use the properties and relationships of triangles and the trigonometric functions to find the unknown angle or side length.

3. What are the solutions to a trigonometric equation?

The solutions to a trigonometric equation are the values of the unknown angle or side length that satisfy the equation. These solutions can be expressed in degrees or radians, depending on the context of the problem.

4. How do I find the solutions to a trigonometric equation?

To find the solutions to a trigonometric equation, you need to use the trigonometric identities and properties, as well as algebraic techniques, to manipulate the equation and isolate the unknown variable.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations, but it is important to have a good understanding of the concepts and techniques involved in order to correctly interpret and apply the solutions provided by the calculator.