Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)

In summary, the conversation discussed the integration of xtan^-1(x^2)dx using the substitution method. It was suggested to use the substitution u = x^2 and then integrate using the formula for tan^-1(u). Another approach was to use the substitution x^2 = tan(t) and then use integration by parts.
KDeep

Homework Statement

∫xtan^-1(x^2)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did u = x, du = 1,
v = ? ,dv = tan^-1(x^2)dx

I do not know how to get the integral of tan^-1(x^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
KDeep said:

Homework Statement

∫xtan^-1(x^2)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did u = x, du = 1dx,
v = ? ,dv = tan^-1(x^2)dx

I do not know how to get the integral of tan^-1(x^2)

u = x can never simplify an integral. It just changes the name of the variable. Try ##u=x^2##.

LCKurtz said:
u = x can never simplify an integral. It just changes the name of the variable. Try ##u=x^2##.

u = x^2
du = 2xdx
du/2 = xdx

∫xtan(x^2)dx

(1/2)∫tan(u)du

(1/2) ln |sec(x^2)| + C

Correct?

KDeep said:
Correct?

You don't have to ask. Differentiate it and check if it works. Did you forget an arctangent?

LCKurtz said:
Did you forget an arctangent?

u = x^2
du = 2xdx
du/2 = xdx

∫xtan^1(x^2)dx

(1/2)∫tan^-1(u)du

I cannot figure out the integral of tan^-1(u)

KDeep said:
u = x^2
du = 2xdx
du/2 = xdx

∫xtan^1(x^2)dx

(1/2)∫tan^-1(u)du

I cannot figure out the integral of tan^-1(u)

For the integral, [itex]\displaystyle \ \ \int \tan^{-1}(t)\,dt\,,\ [/itex] use integration by parts, with u = tan-1(t) and dv = dt , else look it up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trig_functions#Indefinite_integrals_of_inverse_trigonometric_functions
Added in Edit:

An alternate way to approach this problem (It is titled, Trigonometry Substitution (Integral) .) is to use the substitution, x2 = tan(t) .

It will also require the use of integration by parts.

Last edited:

Related to Trigonometry Substitution (Integral)

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used in integral calculus to solve integrals that involve expressions containing trigonometric functions.

2. When is trigonometric substitution used?

Trigonometric substitution is used when an integral cannot be solved using other techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts. It is particularly useful for integrals involving radicals and expressions containing both quadratic and linear terms.

3. How does trigonometric substitution work?

Trigonometric substitution involves substituting an expression in the integral with a trigonometric function and using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. The chosen trigonometric function is typically one that will cancel out or simplify other terms in the integral.

4. Are there different types of trigonometric substitution?

Yes, there are three main types of trigonometric substitution: the substitution of sine and cosine, the substitution of tangent and secant, and the substitution of cotangent and cosecant. The type of substitution used depends on the form of the integral.

5. Can trigonometric substitution be applied to all integrals?

No, trigonometric substitution can only be used for certain types of integrals. It is important to recognize when it is appropriate to use trigonometric substitution and when other techniques should be used instead.