Trouble computing the cosine of a complex number

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem asking for the computation of a complex number. The person has been struggling to get the correct answer and is asking for input on where they might be going wrong. The conversation includes a correction to a sign error and a reminder to use the cosine identity. Ultimately, the person is grateful for the help and relieved that their approach was not flawed.
gex
Mentor note: Thread moved from technical section, so missing the homework template.
Hi all, I have a homework problem which asks me to compute the complex number cos(π/4 + π/4 i).
I've been playing around with it for a while now and just can't seem to get the answer I get when using Wolfram Alpha to verify. Attached is my most recent attempt at solving the problem, I'd love some input as to where I'm going wrong. Thank you in advance.
Capture.JPG

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 783
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
gex said:
Hi all, I have a homework problem which asks me to compute the complex number cos(π/4 + π/4 i).
I've been playing around with it for a while now and just can't seem to get the answer I get when using Wolfram Alpha to verify. Attached is my most recent attempt at solving the problem, I'd love some input as to where I'm going wrong. Thank you in advance.View attachment 224899
You have a sign error. In your "therefore" line (the line with ∴), in the middle expression, the part in parentheses should be ##(\frac \pi 4 + i\frac \pi 4)##. You have a minus where it should be a plus.

In the second line, factor out ##e^{-\frac{\pi}{4}}## and apply the ##2cos(\theta)## identity to the other factor.

The last expression on the line starting, " ∴ cos( " is wrong -i(n-ni) = -ni +n

Thank you so much everyone, I feel foolish for my careless sign error. Most of all I feel relieved that my approach wasn't flawed. I get the correct answer now :)

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that consists of two parts: a real part and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you compute the cosine of a complex number?

The cosine of a complex number can be computed using the Euler's formula: cos(z) = (e^(iz)+e^(-iz))/2, where z is the complex number. Simply plug in the value of z in the formula to get the cosine value.

3. What is the purpose of computing the cosine of a complex number?

The cosine of a complex number is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as signal processing, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. It can also be used to solve complex equations and analyze complex data.

4. Can the cosine of a complex number be a complex number?

Yes, the cosine of a complex number can be a complex number. This is because the result of the cosine function can be any real or imaginary number, depending on the value of the complex number being computed.

5. Are there any limitations to computing the cosine of a complex number?

One limitation to computing the cosine of a complex number is that it can only be used for numbers expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers. It cannot be used for other forms of complex numbers, such as polar form or trigonometric form.