Trouble understanding differential k form

In summary, the conversation discusses solving differential k forms, specifically finding da such that da=w. The problem involves finding a function, a(x,y), given the components of da in terms of x and y. It is important to note that the mixed second derivatives of a must be equal in order for there to be a solution. The solution involves integrating with respect to x and setting the resulting expression equal to the given component in terms of y, then integrating again to find the "constant" of integration, which may actually be a function of y.
KevinMWHM

Homework Statement

data[/B]
Solving differential k forms.

Homework Equations

I don't want to give any exact problems from my problem set.

The Attempt at a Solution

solution.[/B]

The text I'm using, CH Edwards, is very abstract in this section and the explanation over a sped up, last class and a half of the semester was only more vague.

I think I understand the definition of a k form and how they go through the grad, curl, and div as k increases but I'm losing it on the proof which jumps over what it considers "routine but brute force computations".

Is there a bit more concrete way to explain the direction I'm trying to go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give more information? It's not clear to me what you are looking for.

So, this first example, i have,

w=(3x^2y^2+8xy^3)dx + (2x^3y+12x^2y^2+4y)dy

I'm asked to find da such that da=w

Which reminds me of a differential equation but I'm not sure what to do with it. What does the dx and dy represent?

For any function, f(x,y), of two variables, [itex]df= f_xdx+ f_ydy[/itex]. In particular, if you are given that [itex]da= (3x^2y^2+ 8xy^3)dx+ (3x^3y+ 12x^2y^2+ 4y)dy[/itex] then [itex]a_x= 3x^2y^2+ 8xy^3[/itex] and [itex]a_y= 2x^3y+ 12x^2y^2+ 4y[/itex].

I presume you know that, for any function, a(x,y), with continuous second derivatives, the two mixed second derivatives must be equal: [itex]a_{xy}= a_{yx}[/itex]. We can use that to check if there is, in fact, a solution to this problem- in general, just putting to simple functions, say, f(x,y) and g(x,y) together as f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y) does NOT result in an "exact differential" because [itex]f_y\ne g_x[/itex]. But here, [itex]a_{xy}= (3x^2y^2+ 8xy^3)_y= 6x^2y+ 24xy^2= (2x^3y+ 12x^2y^2+ 4y)_x[/itex].

So, knowing that [itex]a_x= 3x^2y^2+ 8xy^3[/itex] and that the partial derivative with respect to x treats y like a constant, we can find a by integrating with respect to x, treating y as a constant. HOWEVER, that means that the "constant" of integration might actually be a function of y- call that, say F(y). So now differentiate the "a" you just got with respect to y, leaving the derivative of F as F' and set that equal to [itex]2x^3y+ 12x^2y^2+ 4y[/itex]. Because of the check above, we know that the "x" terms will cancel leaving an expression, involving only y, for F'. Integrate that to find F.

(I am puzzled by your reference to "differential k forms". They usually arise in an advanced differential geometry course. But the problem you give is a standard "third semester Calculus" or "Calculus of functions of several variables" problem.)

Related to Trouble understanding differential k form

1. What is a differential k form?

A differential k form is a mathematical object used in multivariable calculus and differential geometry to describe how a function changes over a curved surface or manifold. It is a generalization of the concept of a differential, which measures the change in a function over a single variable.

2. What is the purpose of using differential k forms?

Differential k forms allow us to analyze functions that are defined on curved surfaces or manifolds, which cannot be adequately described by traditional derivatives. They also provide a framework for integrating functions over these surfaces, which is a crucial tool in many areas of mathematics and physics.

3. How is a differential k form different from a normal differential?

A differential k form is a multivariable generalization of a normal differential. While a normal differential measures the change in a function over a single variable, a differential k form measures the change in a function over a k-dimensional surface or manifold. This allows us to analyze more complex functions that cannot be described by traditional derivatives.

4. How do you compute a differential k form?

To compute a differential k form, you need to use a coordinate system that is adapted to the surface or manifold you are working with. Then, you can use the exterior derivative operator to convert the function into a differential k form. This process involves taking partial derivatives of the function with respect to each coordinate and combining them using the wedge product.

5. How is a differential k form used in physics?

In physics, differential k forms are used to describe physical quantities that vary over a curved space or spacetime. For example, in Einstein's theory of general relativity, differential 4-forms are used to describe the curvature of spacetime and the gravitational field. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics, to describe the behavior of physical systems in curved spaces.