Trouble with high school physics, what should I do?

In summary: You don't have a good foundation in basic math skills. Without those skills, it's very difficult to understand and do physics problems. You should try to take Algebra 1 again or find a class that focuses more on math skills. You don't mention what classes you are currently taking, but if you are still in high school, you might want to consider taking a class that focuses more on math skills before taking physics.In summary, this freshman in high school is struggling with physics. He learned algebra 1 and geometry, but doesn't know trigonometry. He doesn't understand the formulas well, and struggles with applying them in practice problems. He suggests that students take algebra 1 again or find a class that focuses more on math skills
Aaron Anderson
I am a freshman in high school currently and I am taking physics, but for me it seems too difficult even though I think I have tried everything (Reading from the textbook, tutoring with the teacher, khan academy, studying a lot...) The teacher is not very good at teaching, not saying this as a personal attack but it is true, the whole school complains about him, apparently they tried talking to the principal but to no avail.

Anyway -- I am very interested in physics, I think it is amazing but I just do not understand a lot of it... I am in a regular class, I am not exactly sure about the difficulty of regular physics compared to honors and AP, but I feel like he is teaching us a higher level than regular, in fact I had to use the honors textbook just in order to have a basic understanding (The regular book is conceptual physics by Paul G. Hewitt). I am reading the textbook and probably have a basic grasp of one dimensional motion through to work and energy, but it is difficult for me to apply the knowledge when harder questions roll in. I know the formulas, but I don't how to properly apply them correctly, do you guys have any tips to overcome this? What can I do in order to understand?

Physics news on Phys.org
These two points jumped out at me:
Aaron Anderson said:
I am a freshman in high school currently and I am taking physics
Taking physics as a freshman seems very early to me. When I was in high school (admittedly a long time ago), physics wasn't offered until our senior year. By that time we had had algebra I, geometry, algebra II/trig, and many or most of us were taking calculus at the same time we were in the physics class.

Aaron Anderson said:
I know the formulas, but I don't how to properly apply them correctly, do you guys have any tips to overcome this? What can I do in order to understand?
It's not so much a matter of knowing a bunch of formulas, but you have to be familiar enough with algebra and trig to know how to manipulate the formulas. If an object falls for t seconds, the distance s is given by ##s = \frac 1 2 gt^2##, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. (This formula ignores drag caused by air resistance.) If you are given s, can you find t? A large part of being able to understand physics at more than just the conceptual level is being able to understand the equations and to be able to work with them mathematically. You didn't mention what classes you took prior to being in the physics class, but we aren't able to give any helpful advice if we don't have this information.

Mark44 said:
These two points jumped out at me:
Taking physics as a freshman seems very early to me. When I was in high school (admittedly a long time ago), physics wasn't offered until our senior year. By that time we had had algebra I, geometry, algebra II/trig, and many or most of us were taking calculus at the same time we were in the physics class.

It's not so much a matter of knowing a bunch of formulas, but you have to be familiar enough with algebra and trig to know how to manipulate the formulas. If an object falls for t seconds, the distance s is given by ##s = \frac 1 2 gt^2##, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. (This formula ignores drag caused by air resistance.) If you are given s, can you find t? A large part of being able to understand physics at more than just the conceptual level is being able to understand the equations and to be able to work with them mathematically. You didn't mention what classes you took prior to being in the physics class, but we aren't able to give any helpful advice if we don't have this information.

In my school they force us to take physics in freshman year. I learned Algebra 1 and currently doing geometry and algebra 2. Never learned trigonometry, but I understand the functions: sin, cos, tan.

Aaron Anderson said:
In my school they force us to take physics in freshman year. I learned Algebra 1 and currently doing geometry and algebra 2. Never learned trigonometry, but I understand the functions: sin, cos, tan.
How well did you do in Alg I? How well are you doing in your current math class? Can you give an example of a physics problem that you find to be difficult?

Aaron Anderson said:
That is exactly why you are struggling.

Aaron Anderson said:
symbolipoint said:
That is exactly why you are struggling.
Aaron Anderson said:
I am not exactly sure about the difficulty of regular physics compared to honors and AP,
Aaron Anderson said:
(The regular book is conceptual physics by Paul G. Hewitt).
Many years ago, I taught a college-level "descriptive physics" course that used Hewitt's book. IIRC it uses very little math, no real algebra or trig at all. It shows some equations (F=ma, Newton's law of gravity, etc.), but at most it simply substitutes numbers into them to calculate results, or does qualitative proportional reasoning with them. Example: p = mv, so for a given momentum you can have either a large m and a small v, or a small m and a large v.

When many students are struggling, it is just as likely to be the preparation in math rather than the skill of the teacher.

Likes archaic

1. What are some common challenges that students face in high school physics?

Some common challenges that students face in high school physics include understanding complex concepts, applying mathematical formulas, and conducting experiments accurately.

2. How can I improve my understanding of high school physics?

To improve your understanding of high school physics, make sure to attend all classes, take thorough notes, ask questions, and practice problems regularly. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups.

3. I struggle with math, will I be able to succeed in high school physics?

While math is an important component of high school physics, it is not the only factor in determining success. By focusing on understanding concepts and practicing regularly, you can still succeed in high school physics even if you struggle with math.

4. How can I prepare for exams in high school physics?

To prepare for exams in high school physics, make sure to review your notes, practice problems, and ask your teacher for any additional study materials. It may also be helpful to form a study group with classmates to review together.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with high school physics?

If you are still struggling with high school physics, don't be afraid to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. It may also be helpful to try different study methods or approach the material from a different angle. Remember to stay determined and keep practicing, as improvement takes time and effort.