Troubleshooting Keyboard Lockup on IBM Thinkpad with Windows 7

In summary: BT keyboardIt's a Bluetooth keyboard.In summary, the keyboard locks up when I'm typing in a forum. I've tried unplugging and replugging it, but it doesn't seem to work. I think it might be a power issue because the keyboard doesn't have a green light when it's turned on.
mathman
Science Advisor
On occasion my keyboard locks up. IBM thinkpad, Windows 7. It occurs when I am typing a message in a forum like now. Fortunately my mouse still works, so I can save the (incomplete) message and then restart the computer, freeing the keyboard. Any ideas why it is happening and is there a simpler way to free the keyboard?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging it back in right away? My mouse locks up at startup sometimes because I have it plugged into a docking station. It always works as soon as I do that.

You should be able to use the mouse to navigate to the device controller and see if something is wonky with the keyboard driver. I think this is unlikely but it's worth a shot.

Could it be that the ctrl or alt keys have got stuck?
It happens with well used keyboards, fluff and dirt in there (including dead skin cells).
WD40 spray does a quick fix, but taking keys off and removing properly the gunk is best.

rootone said:
WD40 spray does a quick fix, but taking keys off and removing properly the gunk is best.
NO, please don't use WD40! It destroys some plastics by stripping out the plasticizers, leaving behind solids similar to cookie crumbs lightly stuck together.

(Had a customer several years ago who tried that. The keyboard crumbled upon disassembly. The local community college where he taught had to replace the keyboard. [Another learning experience for him.])

Likes davenn
mathman said:
On occasion my keyboard locks up. IBM thinkpad, Windows 7

is it a cabled ( USB / other) keyboard or a Bluetooth keyboard ?
if a BT keyboard ... possibly flat battery

1. How do I fix a keyboard lockup on my IBM Thinkpad?

The first step to fixing a keyboard lockup on an IBM Thinkpad is to restart the computer. This can often resolve the issue by clearing any temporary glitches. If the problem persists, try plugging in an external keyboard to see if the issue is with the laptop's keyboard or the computer itself. If the external keyboard works, then the issue is likely with the laptop's keyboard and it may need to be replaced.

2. Why does my keyboard keep freezing on my IBM Thinkpad?

There could be a few reasons why your keyboard is freezing. One common reason is that there may be too many programs running at once, causing the computer to become overwhelmed and freeze. Another possible cause is a software or driver issue. Try updating your computer's drivers and running a virus scan to see if that resolves the issue.

3. Can I troubleshoot a keyboard lockup on my IBM Thinkpad without restarting my computer?

Yes, there are some steps you can try before restarting your computer. First, try pressing the "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" keys to open the Task Manager and end any unresponsive programs or processes. You can also try unplugging any external devices, such as a USB mouse or keyboard, and see if that resolves the issue. If not, you may need to restart the computer.

4. How do I prevent my keyboard from locking up on my IBM Thinkpad?

To prevent keyboard lockups, make sure to regularly update your computer's software and drivers. It's also important to keep the computer clean and free of dust and debris, as this can cause hardware issues. Additionally, try not to run too many programs at once and avoid downloading suspicious files or opening unknown email attachments.

5. Can a faulty keyboard cause a lockup on my IBM Thinkpad?

Yes, a faulty keyboard can cause lockups on an IBM Thinkpad. If the keyboard is damaged or has a loose connection, it may cause the computer to freeze. In this case, the keyboard will likely need to be replaced in order to resolve the issue. You can also try cleaning the keyboard and checking for any loose connections before replacing it.