Truck and car collision problem

In summary, in this scenario, two vehicles with initial velocities of 9.60 m/s undergo a perfectly inelastic head-on collision. The total masses of the vehicles, including the drivers, are 800 kg for the car and 4000 kg for the truck. The collision time is 0.120 s. To find the force exerted on each driver, we use the impulse-momentum theorem and find the change in momentum of each driver. The final velocity of both drivers is 0, and using conservation of momentum, we can find the final speed of the vehicles. The force exerted on the truck driver is 2133.33 N, while the force exerted on the car driver can also be calculated using the
dominus96

Homework Statement

Suppose that each vehicle is initially moving at 9.60 m/s and that they undergo a perfectly inelastic head-on collision. Each driver has mass 80.0 kg. Including the masses of the drivers, the total masses of the vehicles are 800 kg for the car and 4000 kg for the truck. If the collision time is 0.120 s, what force does the seat belt exert on each driver:

a) Force on truck driver?

b) Force on the car driver?

Homework Equations

P=mv, F=ma, maybe V=V_0+at

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an impulse problem. Find the change in momentum of each driver. Hint: What's their final speed after the collision? (Don't forget that momentum is a vector--direction counts.)

Their final speed would be 0, right?

But to find force, I need to do mass x acceleration, but I don't know how to find the acceleration. Do I use impulse for that?

Ok I found the force on the truck driver which was 2133.33 N because the truck's final velocity was 6.4 m/s, which was a 3.2 change in velocity, so the acceleration was 26.6666 and I used F=ma to get 2133.33 N. But how do I find it for the car driver?

dominus96 said:
Their final speed would be 0, right?
No. Use conservation of momentum to figure out the final speed. (Both truck and car will have the same final velocity, since the collision is completely inelastic.)

But to find force, I need to do mass x acceleration, but I don't know how to find the acceleration. Do I use impulse for that?
Use impulse, not mass x acceleration. There's no need to calculate the acceleration. Look up the impulse-momentum theorem.

Related to Truck and car collision problem

1. What are the common causes of truck and car collisions?

The most common causes of truck and car collisions include driver error, distracted driving, speeding, mechanical failures, and adverse weather conditions.

2. How can these collisions be prevented?

To prevent truck and car collisions, it is important for drivers to follow traffic laws and regulations, avoid distractions while driving, maintain safe speeds, and regularly maintain their vehicles. Additionally, implementing safety measures such as lane departure warning systems and automatic emergency braking can also help prevent collisions.

3. What are the potential consequences of a truck and car collision?

The consequences of a truck and car collision can vary depending on the severity of the crash. They can range from minor injuries and property damage to serious injuries or even fatalities. In addition, collisions can result in traffic disruptions, legal issues, and financial burdens for those involved.

4. Are there any regulations in place to prevent truck and car collisions?

Yes, there are regulations in place to prevent truck and car collisions. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has regulations that govern the operation of commercial motor vehicles, including trucking companies and their drivers. These regulations cover areas such as vehicle maintenance, driver training, and hours of service.

5. What role do trucking companies play in preventing collisions?

Trucking companies play a significant role in preventing collisions by ensuring their drivers are properly trained, their vehicles are regularly maintained, and they comply with all FMCSA regulations. They also have a responsibility to monitor their drivers' behavior and address any issues that may increase the risk of collisions. Additionally, some companies invest in advanced safety technologies to further prevent collisions.