How Does Sliding Affect the Force Exerted by the Road on a Truck?

• Thread starter leaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truck
In summary, when the masses are sliding on the truck bed, the force exerted by the road decreases. The truck still has to provide all of the force to accelerate the crates, but it does so with a smaller acceleration.
leaf

Homework Statement

Two crates of mass m are stacked on the back of a flat-bed truck of mass M. The truck accelerates from rest with a uniform acceleration a.
How does the force exerted by the road on the truck change when the masses are stationary vs. when the masses are sliding on the floor of the truck?

Homework Equations

Fn = (2m+M)g
Ff = μs(2m+M)g
as = μg (as is value of acceleration beyond which crates begin sliding, and coefficient of static friction between crate and truck is μ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first two equations above are the equations I got for the force exerted by the road when the masses are stationary, but I'm not sure how this would change when the masses are sliding. It doesn't seem to me that they would, but maybe I'm missing something. The part of the question asking for force exerted by the road when the masses are sliding comes after a question about the value of as so I'm thinking that maybe that has something to do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If they slide, their acceleration is not "a" any more. What does that mean for the horizontal force between the lower mass and the truck?

Likes leaf
Your second equation has a ##\mu_s## and (since it is ##\mu_s F_N## for truck + crates), it means ##F_f## is the maximum friction force between road and truck. ##\mu_s## is a coefficient that has to do with the tyres and the road surface, not with the crates! If the truck accelerates with less than ##m_s g## the actual friction force is less than ##F_f## !
##\mu## in your third equation is what ?
If you really mean ##\mu_s## then it seems a coincidence that your as is indeed the maximum acceleration the crates can have without sliding !

Let me -- for clarity :smile: -- use ##\mu_c## for the friction coefficient between crates and truck bed.

When the crates are sliding, they can't exercise more than the full ##2 \mu_c mg## on the truck bed, so they don't accelerate with a but with a smaller acceleration ## \mu_c g## . The road still hat to provide all accelerating force, but for the truck it is a and for the crates it is less than a.

Likes leaf
Thanks for the help, but I'm still a bit stuck.

BvU, μ in the third equation is the static friction between the crates and the truck and μs is the static friction between tires and road.

The friction force between truck and crates would decrease to μmg when the crates begin sliding I believe ([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction between truck and crates given in the problem and the combined masses of stacked crates is 2m), but I'm still confused about how this relates to the force between truck and road.

leaf said:
μ in the third equation is the static friction between the crates and the truck and μs is the static friction between tires and road.
I agree that ##a_s = \mu g## is indeed the maximum acceleration the truck can give the crates. And that maximum acceleration requires a force ##F_{\rm truck\rightarrow crates} =2 \mu mg##. With a simple free body diagram of the truck loaded with the sliding crates and accelerating with an acceleration ##a > a_s## you can now symbolically write down the force the road has to exercise on the truck.

If the coefficient of kinetic friction is lower than the ##\mu## we used for static friction, then that ##\mu_k## takes the place of the static ##\mu##.
But it can well be that your answer doesn't have to be all that specific and all that is wanted is a qualitative answer ('smaller', 'bigger', ...)

Likes leaf

1. What is a "Truck with stacked masses"?

A "Truck with stacked masses" is a type of physics demonstration or experiment that involves a small toy truck with a set of stacked masses on its bed. The masses can be blocks, coins, or any other small objects, and they are stacked in a specific pattern to create a balance on the truck.

2. How does a "Truck with stacked masses" demonstrate physics principles?

The "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration showcases several important principles of physics, including center of mass, stability, and torque. As the masses are stacked on the truck, the center of mass shifts, affecting the stability of the truck and its ability to balance. Additionally, by changing the position, size, or number of the masses, the demonstration can illustrate different concepts such as equilibrium and rotational motion.

3. What can be learned from a "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration?

A "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration can teach about the relationship between forces and motion, as well as how different factors such as weight, distance, and placement can affect the balance and movement of an object. It also allows for hands-on experimentation and observation of physics principles, making it an effective learning tool for students of all ages.

4. How can I set up a "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration?

To set up a "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration, you will need a small toy truck, such as a Hot Wheels or Matchbox truck, and several small objects to use as masses. Place the truck on a flat surface, and carefully stack the masses on its bed in a specific pattern. You can experiment with different patterns and arrangements to see how they affect the balance and movement of the truck.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when conducting a "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration?

While a "Truck with stacked masses" demonstration is generally safe, it is important to use caution when stacking the masses to avoid them falling and potentially causing injury. Additionally, make sure to conduct the demonstration on a stable surface and keep any loose or small objects away from the area. Always supervise children when conducting this experiment.